Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Non-system disk or disk error-what does that mean?

This is a discussion on Non-system disk or disk error-what does that mean? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I spilt water on my laptop yesterday (stupid I know) and since then every time I turn it on it

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 03:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

I spilt water on my laptop yesterday (stupid I know) and since then every time I turn it on it first comes up with the HP screen and it says in small letters "F10 ROM based setup." If I click on that it takes me to a blue screen with headings such as "security, advanced etc" and I have no idea what I should do to any of these settings. However, if I press ctrl, alt & del from the first screen, it takes me to a black screen with "non-system disk or disk error. replace and strike any key when ready." Now I don't know much at all about computers or how they work so I have no idea what to do. Please, can anyone help me asap as I rely on my laptop for work and don't have regular access to another.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

non system disk or disk error implies the pc cannot read from the harddrive for some reason...have you tried booting into safe mode, I am doubtful it this will work either, but you can try it for grins... as the pc is trying to bootuip tap the f8 key I think to enter safe mode or maybe its the delete key....do a google search for your laptop model to see which key it takes to get into safe mode. if you are unable to even boot into safe mode hard to believe the water may have gotten to your harddrive. when you spilled the water I assume you had the pc running at the time did you notice any immediate affects on the pc...?

actually from a google search of you error message it seems to imply you have a disk in your CD rom that it is trying to boot from check the cd rom to make sure nothing is in there. also go into bios and make sure the boot sequence is set so the pc trys to boot from the harddive first....

Old 09-30-2009, 04:17 AM   #3
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Is the bios you talk of the blue screen with the settings options? I've changed the boot option for it to do what you said and it just keeps bringing me to the same screens as before :( I am so stuck :(
Old 09-30-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

bummer and there is definitely no disk in the cdrom did you try booting into safe mode?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

My laptop has a separate disk player thing that attaches to the laptop and it wasn't attached so..... How do I boot in safe mode? I'm sorry but I don't even know what "to boot" means.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

what is the make and model of your laptop? and you spilled water on the keyboard while it was running? if so,,,,what did you do next and how did the pc react?
Old 09-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
Registered Member

It's an HP Compaq nc4010. Yeah, I spilt water onto the keyboard whilst it was on and nothing happened for a few minutes and then a blue screen came up with a repeated noise and a load of text saying it had detected an error and had to close down but I didn't have chance to read it all :(
Old 09-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

not good you may have suffered a short on the motherboard or one of its components..have you tried to make sure its dried out well...turned it over and let all the free water pour out and maybe blow dry it with a hair dryer on warm not hot...I dont think you can recover it but worth a try...

probably out of warranty too...so the best you can hope for is to remove the harddrive and install it into an external 2.5 inch enclosure and hook it up to another computer via usb port and access the files. hopefully the harddrive will still run and the files are intact. your old laptop maybe scrap with out replacing the motherboard. do not know what else to suggest maybe one of the other experts on the forum can help or maybe you should repost in the hardware section of the forum for better advice..
Old 09-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
Registered Member

ok. thankyou so much for all your help. :)
Old 09-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #10

When you boot up your computer, hit the F2 key. This should take you to the Bios Setup. Once in the Bios, see if it lists your HDD, here you can change the boot order to boot from CD rom first. But it sounds like the motherboard or othe components are fried. Best to pull the drive and put it in a External USB enclosure/Adapter and if it mounts on another computer, transfer any files.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
Registered Member

Hi, I just tried hitting F2 but the same screens came up. Looks like I'll be forking out for another laptop-nice just before Christmas eh? Many thanks for your suggestions anyway :)
Old 10-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Damn...what's with the double posts lately?

Google is your Friend!
Closed Thread
Gear in this thread