Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

non-system disk error replace and strike any key

12K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have an old Compaq Presario X1000, with Windows XP.
I have had no problems with this computer until today. I
used this computer last night and left it on, I rarely shut it down.

This morning I came into my office and the screen said
non-system disk error replace and strike any key when ready.
I have received this message before but only when I have shut
down and restarted the computer with a floppy disk in the external
drive.

There is no disk in the floppy drive and I have tried unplugging it to
see if it will boot but it doesn't. The only thing it will let me do is F10
DOS set up, and I don't see any options to try to reboot in safe mode
or anything like that.

I do have a Driver Recovery CD, Opersating System CD, and Application recovery CD. Not sure if any of those will help. I can not afford to lose the info on the hard drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know very little about computers and like a dummy have nothing backed up.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Kim T

See less See more
#2 ·
First, make sure there are no USB Devices (other then keyboard and mouse) in the computer. If that still fails, then boot into Setup (Bios) and make sure the HDD is showing on the first page. If so, then backup your data using a Ubuntu Live CD to a USB HDD/Flash Drive.
Once your safely backed up, then Boot off of the Windows Disc Or download the Recovery Console ISO. Burn it to CD with IMGBurn Boot off of the CD and get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /R and press enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors.
You can also download the ISO image for Seatools or Drive Fitness in my signature and burn the image to a CD using IMGBurn also in my signature and boot off of the newly created CD and run the Quick and Advanced tests on the HDD to test the integrity of the drive.

#3 ·
My hard drive is dead. I had someone take it out and try it on another computer. It makes a noise but he said it does not spin and my only option was to go to a data recovery company. The estimate from them it $1000 - $1800.

Is a data recovery company my only option at this point? I put the hard drive back into my laptop. I have tried running a linux live cd, thinking it may give me access to some files, but i can not seem to get into the system that way. I have heard that putting the hard drive in the freezer overnight could possibly work but also do not want to take a chance on damaging it any further.

Any other possible options I can try before spending money that I don't have?

#5 ·
If the drive spins up (hums, has power but is not recognized by the other computer) you have a chance to use some software to retrieve your files. But if the drive is cold, and does not power up at all, the only thing left is Professional Recovery, which as you found, is quite expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.