Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

no internet/ethernet driver?

This is a discussion on no internet/ethernet driver? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. ok. i just reformatted a computer and it has no ethernet driver. i double check this by running msinfo32 comp.

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

ok. i just reformatted a computer and it has no ethernet driver. i double check this by running msinfo32 comp. problem devices, and it says ethernet drivers are not installed for this.

I have the correct drivers but apparently they need to be manual installed and I'm not sure how to do this... I did it fine for the sound device with the windows wizard, but I'm not sure how to do it with the ethernet driver....

Also I need the video driver for the computer if anyone can locate a dlable link for me.

man: IBM
model: 8187F7U

windows xp sp2

UPDATE: ok i think i screwed it up even worse now. super.... maybe I don't have the correct driver, but I've used them on my computer before and we have the exact same computers.

I went to control panel-hardware tab-device manager-right click ethernet control-update drivers- and tryed to manually install them from where i put the driver n the c:/. it said like error code: 10 and didn't work. so then i went uninstall it because I thought i installed the wrong driver and now it doesn't even say ethernet control. it just says "other devices". so damn frustrated at this pt.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Registered Member

you need to look for a .sys file in the folder that was downloaded with your ethernets driver content. Some times the .sys file is in a subfolder so when you are browsing to it in the Hardware installation Wizard you need to click on the folder where the .sys file exists.

If you downloaded OEM drivers then I'm positive that there are detailed instructions for deploying the drivers onto your machine. Just check the documentation on the IBM website for your model.

OF COURSE THAT IS IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THE WWW FROM ANOTHER PC.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

might wanna read my update that i just did. I realize I need to look for that .sys but it gave me like a code: 10. normally when i manually install driver I just select let me choose from where the driver is but when i do it here it keeps asking me like "hp, ibm" and stuff.

UPDATE: RESOLVED

I had to scan for hardware to get the ethernet control back there. then manual install click have disc go to ibm>tool>drivers>pro 1000>WS03XP32>E10000325>setup info

jeez.... got the display driver from lenova support.

appreciate the help bro. ;) thank you