Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

NO BOOTABLE DEVICE FOUND: Insert boot disk and press any key

This is a discussion on NO BOOTABLE DEVICE FOUND: Insert boot disk and press any key within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I have formatted my hard drive and installed windows XP pro (SP3) on it. It got installed well. However,

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

Hi. I have formatted my hard drive and installed windows XP pro (SP3) on it. It got installed well. However, once I take out the OS cd after completion and restart the system for any reason, the system stays blank for long with a blinking cursor on top left corner and then after couple of minutes goes on to show the above error.

This doesnt happen when I keep the OS cd in the optical drive and then start the system as it goes on to show the "press any key to boot from cd..." thing and then load the OS normally. What could be the reason for this and how can I get my system to boot without the OS cd in it everytime (without having to format it again). Please help.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Try a Repair Installation.

Try this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST&T.com Forums
Disk boot failure
This can be a number of reasons:

1: Your HDD has had it and needs replacing
2: It is trying to boot from another source, i.e. printer with memory card slots
3: A Memory card / usb stick which is in your PC.

It can be a number of things

First thing I always tell customers to do is:

1: Check in BIOS and make sure the HDD IS detected
2: Make sure the boot order seems OK, make sure the HDD is set to first boot device as a simple check.
3: Make sure no peripherals are pluggged in, i.e. printer (to rule out any 3rd booting options)

If everything seems OK, then that's when we'd try a system recovery, stick in the recovery CD / XP CD depending on the OS and recovery method.

If it boots into the recovery and we can do chkdsk /r - If that comes back OK, try and run the complete restore.
If it goes through OK and in to Windows then problem sorted just a software issue.

If it goes through OK but then comes up with the same issue, could be a fault with the HDD / Mobo (Not recognising a HDD is detected properly)

Old 07-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

First of all, make sure in your bios (boot section) that you have the following boot order:

CD/DVD drive - 1st
Floppy - 2nd (if any)
Hard Drive - 3rd (boot drive)

Then, in that same section look for an item called Hard Drive Priority (boot priority, etc) and make sure your boot drive is listed FIRST.

Also, if you don't use any Raid array, then make sure the raid is turned off in the bios.

Give that a try and report back with results.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2310 View Post
Hi. I have formatted my hard drive and installed windows XP pro (SP3) on it. It got installed well. However, once I take out the OS cd after completion and restart the system for any reason, the system stays blank for long with a blinking cursor on top left corner and then after couple of minutes goes on to show the above error.

This doesnt happen when I keep the OS cd in the optical drive and then start the system as it goes on to show the "press any key to boot from cd..." thing and then load the OS normally. What could be the reason for this and how can I get my system to boot without the OS cd in it everytime (without having to format it again). Please help.
Hi Lucky,

I have the same problem that my PC does not boot without the OS CD in the Disk, what exactly the problem might be, can you please suggest me..

Thanks in Advance

Regards
ashok
Old 01-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
Registered Member

Tumbleweed36 IS right when your computer does not start with the CD not being in it ITS in the bios boot section

u have to make your Hard Drive BOOT first

to enter BIOS restart computer and press Del OR if yours is not Del try one of these
* F1
* F2
* DEL
* ESC
* F10
Old 03-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
Registered Member

I performed a full format and re-installed OS.. I still keep getting such probs.. as a result i have started thinking these are possibly due to a failing HDD.. Can someone suggest a good HD diagnostic tool so I can check on my disk (for life, if any left!!)... Thanks..

@ashokadupa: sorry buddy.. as of now i think its my HD.. could be any of the above things in your case.. need to furnish more info..
Old 03-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Boot to Windows
Right click My Computer, click Manage
Click Disk Management
Expand the window, then post a screen shot of that window
Old 03-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

Here is a link to all the hard drive diagnostics from your hard drive manufacturer. Give the one a try that fits your brand name:

Hard Drive Utilities