Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

No battery status, Dell E1505

This is a discussion on No battery status, Dell E1505 within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Computer works fine with battey and AC, but the battery status, on the battery meter (Fn-F3) does not show anything?

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

Computer works fine with battey and AC, but the battery status, on the battery meter (Fn-F3) does not show anything? I have went to control/power options/power meter, it shows battery not present??? When disconnecting the AC the plug icon stay in the task bar! Any ideas how to get battery status back working.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Welcome to TSF....

You did not mention if you purchased a new battery that was not an OEM for the laptop. Some manufacturers like Dell have special circuits in the battery that make it put a battery level up and the replacement battery does not have that circuitry.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
Registered Member

It still has the original battery, computer is 1 1/2 years old. Also none of the battery warnings when it is near discharged work. When the battery dies the computer just shuts down. Thanks, I have read something about bios, but not sure what that is.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Did it work correctly when it was new? If so did anything unusual occur around the time it stopped working, software install or update?
You may also try cleaning the battery contacts gently with a clean eraser.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Registered Member

"Computer works fine with battey and AC, but the battery status, on the battery meter (Fn-F3) does not show anything? I have went to control/power options/power meter, it shows battery not present??? When disconnecting the AC the plug icon stay in the task bar!"

I have the same problem as above! Not sure when it started but recently.... I have a new battery but it was purchased direct from Dell and is the real thing. AC icon is always on. I cannot see a battery status. So basically I type away until BAM, the laptop loses power. Hoping to figure out how to get battery status to display again! Thanks in advance for help.

Kevin
Old 08-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Did the old battery do this? If you still have the old battery can you use it to test with?
I suspect it's an issue with the battery communicating with the laptop a call to Dell may be an option.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
Registered Member

the old battery displayed correctly in the taskbar. unfortunately I used it til it was totally dead. won't even take a charge now so cannot test it. new battery displayed OK in the taskbar too at first but then stopped being recognized. I may call Dell. Thanks for the responses. I find it interesting that 2 of us are having the same problem at the same time...
Old 08-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
Registered Member

I have the original Dell battery and when re-installed I still have the same problem. The new battery that I am using is a Dell. My problem occured with the old battery. If you call Dell, Nahood, would you share what they have to say Thanks
Old 08-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #9
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Another thought to eliminate a Dell Quickset software problem you both could d/l NoteBook Hardware Control and see if it see's the battery sensors, I use on my Toshibia for temps and battery monitoring.

http://www.brothersoft.com/notebook-...ad-141073.html
Old 08-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
Registered Member

i downloaded notebook hardware control. it doesn't sense the battery. but the laptop still works when AC is unplugged so I know the battery is providing power.

If it is a battery problem, I bet Dell will help since the battery I bought is so new, if not, I'm likely out of luck as the notebook (inspiron E1505) is probably around 3 years old.