Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

New sata HD. How to setup hidden partition?

This is a discussion on New sata HD. How to setup hidden partition? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm working on a DELL E520 with all sata. The old HD is DEAD!!!!!! I got a new 160gb sata

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm working on a DELL E520 with all sata. The old HD is DEAD!!!!!! I got a new 160gb sata HD and I need to set it up to reinstall everything for DELL XP MCE OS. I have the DELL reinstall dvd disk and the DELL drivers dvd disk. How do you get the HIDDEN partitions ect on it and what goes in them so I can finish this?????? I have read all kinds of post on the net and all say use the restore BUT THIS IS A NEW HD not one that allready works from the DELL. A step by step would be VERY helpful or a link that makes sense of how to!!! Thanks

Old 03-21-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Welcome to TSF!

Only way to restore them is if you previously created an image of the old drive. If you didn't, they are gone for good.

The Dell CD is only an OS re-installation CD. It's not a full Recovery CD set that restores the Recovery and Diagnostic partitions, it only installs the OS. You'll need to re-install the applications from their own install CDs.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

and welcome to the Forum

You can get a reinstallation guide specific to your Dell here
http://support.dell.com/support/topi...n&s=dhs&~ck=mn

Once you install the operating system, you can go to the Dell support site, enter your Service Tag Number and download the drivers. Be sure to use IE and do not use the Dell Download Manager!

Just download the driver file, save it to the desktop and double click to install

On the list of drivers, click on the driver file:

Then the download button here:

See this for the order they should be installed:

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...=en&l=en&s=dhs
Old 03-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Registered Member

I read your responce,. I put the NEW 160Gb sata drive in , Used the 6 XP pro boot diskets and added the sata raid drivers at disk 4 hit (s) if needed. and finished the rest of the boot disks. I already set dios to boot A: drive then CD/DVD drive. Put in WIN XP Pro sp1 disk (full version) got to make partition and divided it into 2-80Gb ones. formatted the C: partition and installed the OS. Formatted the other partition ,,Loaded the dell drivers in order as stated. All works great but without the Hidden partitions the bios won't boot when set to Raid/sata (you get the blue screan of death) so It is set to the other comfig to fool it. (sorry can't remenber the exact term.. ) So when you boot up the machine i get the HIT F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup. I hit the F1 and everything starts and runs good but it's slower than if it was factory. I asume its from having to share the buss between the sata HD and sata CD/DVD ??? I tried also to use the reinstall xp mce disk but the sata cd/dvd rom won't play it ,Also tried the dell resourse CD. Had to use a USB flash card to load it on the computer it install it.... The CD/DVD will play reg. DVD's and reg. CD's I loaded Driver Detective and ran it to see if I missed any other drives .... Went on microsoft updates and got all the updates installed SO.... what did I miss???? other than the F1 key,, it runs pretty good over all :-) Thanks :-)
Old 03-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Why did you boot from the 6 disketts package? It would not boot from the Dell Reinstalltion disc?

The "hidden" partition on Dells is just the restoration files . . has nothing to do with booting or running XP. No reason to change from the compatibility mode . . if you loaded the SATA drivers at the "Press F6 . . " promot, it should, but does not have to.

Did you have BIOS set for compatibility ( IDE ) mode when you installed?

Have you loaded the chipset and other motherboard drivers?

Have you run diagnostics on the hard drive?
Old 04-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
Registered Member

I booted from the 6 disks because IT WAS A BRAND NEW HD with no partitions...I could not make a mirror of the old drive!!!!!!! and the 3.5 floppy drive was all that would work!!! I tried the dell XPMCE reinstall dvd/cd and the dvd/cd drive wouldn't see it read it !!!! I would still like for someone to tell me how to make (ALL THE PARTITIONS) and the size of each and what to install in each partition??? In other words , tell me how you would do a Full clean install (NEW DRIVE) OLD DRIVE SHOT !!! on a dell E520 with Dell win xpmce 2005 reinstall disk and the dell resourse CD all sata connections, HD, DVD/CD drive

Did you load the sata drivers at press f6??? YES

Did you have BIOS set for compatibility ( IDE ) mode when you installed? YES

Have you loaded the chipset and other motherboard drivers? YES

Have you run diagnostics on the hard drive? YES

Thanks wormy63
Old 04-13-2010, 02:11 AM   #7
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

If you had the BIOS set to IDE Compatibility mode, XP Setup would not have been able to see the SATA controller, and would not have installed the drivers, even though you went through the F6 procedure. It won't install drivers for hardware it doesn't see.

As for the Press F1 message, what is the full message that it displays? Did you change the boot order so the CD/DVD and hard drive comes before the floppy?
It may just be telling you that you don't have a bootable floppy disk in the drive. You have to hit F1 to move to the next boot device.

I've not tried installing the SATA drivers after XP has been installed, it would be a bit complex. You can read this HOWTO I found to see what is involved. Note that the registry files shown will not work on your system unless you have the exact same chipset.

If you really need to use AHCi mode, be easier to re-install with the controller set to AHCI mode so XP Seyup can install the drivers. Note that most people won't be able to tell the difference between the two modes.

I can't boot with my Dell XP MCE disk either, it's corrupted. Just hangs on boot. Guess they use some pretty cheap DVDs.
You should have been able to boot with the XP SP1 disk though. If that wouldn't boot, there may be a problem with the CD/DVD drive.

You can see if you can order a replacement CD from this page:
https://support.dell.com/support/top.../backupcd_form

You may be able to recover the files from the DVD so you can burn a new one using Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier. Took me 48 hours to read all the files on the DVD, but it finally got them all.

Unless Dell will give you an image of the Recovery Partition, you aren't going to be able to re-create it. You'll need a copy of MS-DOS 7.1, Ghost 2003 or 2004, the Symantec System Recovery client files, and the XML files to control each of the 5 stages, the Microsoft Sysprep tool, a disk editor that lets you edit sectors, and the batch files that restore the image that you'll have to create with Sysprep and Ghost.
If you want a recovery partition it would be much easier to use Acronis or Ghost, they both have the ability to create a separate partition to store images to be used to restore the system. The advantage with these is you can easily update the image, rather than being suck with an image that is missing the last 2-6 years of updates and changes.

Keep in mind a Recovery Partition is useless if the hard drive fails; with Acronis or Ghost, you can copy the images to an external hard drive and recover the system to a new drive.

Closed Thread