Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New O/S and driver install "Out of Disk Space"???

869 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  TheOutcaste 
#1 ·
Forgive me, but I’m new to the forum and relatively new to [rebuilding] computers (compared to some of you, I’m sure…) I do have a tech background.

Having said that, I had to do a re-install of XP (SP1) on a Dell Optiplex GX620 that I have. While at it, I upgraded the HD to 1.5TB (Seagate Barracuda)

The XP install went well. I did not have a restore disk for the drivers, so I went to Dell’s driver download website and downloaded the correct drivers for my model/service tag.

I put the drivers on a USB flash drive and moved them/loaded them onto the Dell. I installed the drivers in order and most installed fine. A few however, such as the Broadcom 57XX Gigabit Divers, are telling me that I am out of disk space. I get the error and a dialog box says that the volume on the C: drive is -650GB, and I have -655GB Available, with 2328KB Required and Differences of -650GB… I have no-idea what’s going on here, but I can’t seem to install the driver(s).

I did Disk Clean-up, defrag, chk disk, Ccleaner… blah, blah, blah… I am only using 1% of the available drive capacity.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to TSF!

Haven't seen it before, but sounds like the driver was not designed to deal with that large of a hard drive. Looks like it was designed for around a 750 GB max drive size. 1.5 TB = 1397 GiB seen as -650 leaves 747 GiB as max

When it hits that point, it "rolls over" and goes negative:
749 = 749
750 = 750
751 = -1
752= -2

The driver than just checks if the available space is larger than the required, which it won't be since the available space is negative.

Short of an updated installer for the drivers, I can think of two options.
Shrink the partition to less than 740 GiB so you can install.
Fill up the drive until the free space is less than 740 GiB. It might work as long as the free space number is positive.

Once installed, you can increase the partition, or delete the files, and hopefully it will work.

#5 ·
THANKS OUTCAST! I tried loading several thousand gigs of video to the big drive and that shrunk the avaliable disk space to a number that the driver (or driver install program) liked. So in short what you said in you post was in-deed the problem and I was able to load the rest of my drivers.

Thanks again... I will be comming back to this forum for computer questions in the future...

#6 ·
You're Welcome!

Thanks for reporting back!

If your issue has been resolved you can mark this thread Solved by using the Thread Tools at the Top Right of this thread (above the first post) :grin:

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.