Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Network hardware is gone & cant connect to the Internet

This is a discussion on Network hardware is gone & cant connect to the Internet within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Alright. I dont really know where to start. I had Windows Xp Media Edition on a computer I just reformatted

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

Alright. I dont really know where to start. I had Windows Xp Media Edition on a computer I just reformatted but apparently its not the right disc and I just installed the Xp version only. Of course Im worried about it taking my Media xp number but that is not my main concern at this time.

After reformatting, I can not connect to the internet and the computer can not find my network hardware. Im familiar with reformatting and such and I have never had this much problems. Im not showing any kind of LAN connection and Im at a loss for what to do. Ive been trying to fix this all day and any help would be appreciated. Also, in device manager I have several things that have a yellow question mark beside them but have no way to update the drivers since I cant connect to the internet.

Not sure what other information I need to list since I am beyond frustrated but let me know and I can post whatever info you need.

Thanks for your time and help with this issue.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #2

On another computer with internet and go to the Computer Manufacturers Support Web site and put in your Make and Model # or Asset Tag # and download the drivers you need to a Flash drive, bring the flash to the computer in question and install the drivers.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have done that as well with no luck.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #4

If you have downloaded the correct Network Adapter and installed it, then you would no longer have a Yellow mark in Device Manager for Network Adapter. Once you have the network adapter installed, then go on the internet to that support site and download the rest of the drivers you need.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
Registered Member

Refresh my memory here. I have copied all the drivers to a disc and put in the pc. Opened and extracted them all and installed them. Maybe Ive missed something?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
Registered Member

Hmmm I dont have a Network Adapter listed at all in the Device Manager. The yellow question marks are under OTHER DEVICES.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
Registered Member

I GOT IT! Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it. Now let the updating begin.....