Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Netbook keeps freezing, mainly while browsing internet

This is a discussion on Netbook keeps freezing, mainly while browsing internet within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. God, I typed this out already but the stupid thing decided to freeze yet again, so this copy probably won't

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

God, I typed this out already but the stupid thing decided to freeze yet again, so this copy probably won't be as detailed.

I have an Eee PC 1000H. It likes to freeze a lot.

I thought this was a virus problem as AVG showed up saying I have a virus. Trojan horse Crypt.MSZ although it said I removed it.

It would freeze quite frequently while browsing the internet, using both Opera and Chrome.

When I played Solitare while waiting for files to backup, it seemed perfectly fine though.

But then I reinstalled Windows.

The freezing still occurs, and I haven't had a chance to mess it up.

I've noticed that if I had a Windows Live Messenger conversation opened before it froze I can still send and receive messages from that person. But nothing else works. Can't Crtl Alt Delete, press the start button, nothing.

Also: just discovered this like 5 minutes ago. My dad suggested that I put a straw near the side where the hot air comes out and blow in attempt to clean the fan area slightly. I did that and I heard something rattling inside. I'm kinda thinking that has something to do with this?

Looking for other suggestions on what I could do/try.

(I wouldn't say I'm completely computer illiterate, but I definitely do not trust myself opening anything up so I'll have to get my dad to do it, who knows how long it'll take him to finally get started :\)

Also, semi-related.. In the internet connection area, it's been validating identity all day. I know when my computer freezes because the circle stops moving on the computer icon. But how do I get it to stop validating identity?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #2

Put a vacuum nozzle against both the air intake and exhaust. Rattling is generally bad. Using a vacuum and compressed air is best.

Install Speedfan and run the computer. Note if the freeze happens as a result of low voltages, high temperature or what. This might take a week to get a lot of good results. You are looking for a connection between your freeze and volts, temps, or both.

Check Event Viewer. See what messages are being reported at the time of the freeze in System or Application. You can ignore the other tabs.

Check Device Manager. Click "show hidden devices" and make sure all the devices are normal and not flagged.

Run chkdsk.

Google all the words above you do not know.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ok so I checked the devices and the only yellow circled one is "Serial".
In the event viewer, around the time it froze in System there is a Service Control Manager error and in Application there are two Userenv warnings. The first is event 1524, and the second, timed one second after the first, is an event 1517.
Chkdsk did nothing.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

Rattling hasn't returned since last night.
I vacuumed it earlier but I've noticed no improvements.