Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Need help with Win XP Sound card drivers on Toshiba i5 Sandybridge

This is a discussion on Need help with Win XP Sound card drivers on Toshiba i5 Sandybridge within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I recently bought a Toshiba Satellite C640-X4010 Laptop. Tech Specs are as follows: Intel Series 6 HM-65 Express Chipset

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 02:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi
I recently bought a Toshiba Satellite C640-X4010 Laptop.
Tech Specs are as follows:

Intel Series 6 HM-65 Express Chipset
Core i5 Sandy Bridge processor @ 2.3 GHz
3GB RAM
500 GM HDD

The computer did not come with any OS. So I took the Win XP Home Edition from my previous (now broken down) computer and loaded it in this one.
Installation and Activation went fine.

Next I downloaded the drivers from Toshiba Asia website for Satellite C640 for Win XP and tried installing them. The problem I encountered with these drivers is that when I started to install them, a message pops up saying "The minimum requirements for installation have not been met on this computer".

Even after installing .NET v3.5 I keep getting the same message. So someone advised me to try installing Win 7 and Win 7 drivers from the Toshiba Asia website. But I got the same error message on trying to install the Chipset and Audio drivers.

So I finally decided to download drivers from the Intel website. Downloaded the Chipset and Graphics driver from the intel website.
The Intel website asks us to download a file from microsoft and install it before installing the graphics driver. (And the audio driver is packaged along with the graphics driver). Followed this procedure too, but it didn't help.

So I am stuck with a non functional sound card.

Please Help!

Old 08-04-2011, 03:41 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Hello,

What version of Windows are you running right now, are you on Windows 7 and trying to get drivers for it or are you on Windows XP?

It is recommended you download the drivers from your region and that they are the correct 32 bit or 64 bit version.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Phou
Thanks for your reply.
I have a dual boot on my system now.
And I am looking for Win XP Audio drivers.

I tried Toshiba India website but it isn't working for the last 4 days now.
And their helpline is not very friendly in India.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:51 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Here is a link that might be able to help you out Chipsets — Where can I find an audio driver for my chipset?

Windows 7 should have the drivers, you can check optional update on the Windows update section.

Start Menu>All Programs>Windows Update
Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks Phou but I have done that..
After installing the Microsoft update, the win xp detects that there is an audio device for which an update hasn't been installed. But when I install the driver, nothing happens..
Any suggestions for that?

Thanks again!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
Registered Member

Hi, sugam. Have you tried uninstalling the soundcard in Control Panel/ system/hardware/device manager? If you right click on your soundcard and choose 'uninstall' windows is forced to re-install and search for drivers on restart. If you have the drivers installed then it should point to them automatically, if not, find the location of the drivers and install manually using the 'update drivers' option in the above Control panel options.
It has worked for me before.