Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Need help with my XP Laptop

This is a discussion on Need help with my XP Laptop within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone. I have a Dell D620 Laptop, it has Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 60GB Hard Drive, XP Pro.

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone.

I have a Dell D620 Laptop, it has Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 60GB Hard Drive, XP Pro.

After 5 months, it has stopped working pretty much and I'm worried, I have things on it which I don't really want to lose if possible, to be honest.

Basically, it won't log into Windows. Get a blue flash for half a second then it reboots asking what mode to reboot in.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Chris

Old 11-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Please do the following:

Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.

• Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

• Record the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:47 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

After what the AustrAlien has suggested, you can back up your files using to an Ubuntu Live CD, and save the files to a USB HDD or Flash Drive, then we can start to do some trouble shooting based on the BSOD message.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

I did what was asked above and I got:

Message I get is unmountable boot volume
The technical info says *** STOP 0X000000ED (0x89DED900, 0XC000009C, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)
Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
unmountable boot volume
This means that either the boot file is corrupt or that the HDD has failed.Boot into Setup (Bios) and see if the HDD is listed there. If so, then did you create an Ubuntu Live CD to copy your files off?
Old 11-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks for the help (again)! It's actually a friend's laptop who isn't very good with computers so I've helped as much as I can, but I'm not really either.

I've asked them to try and do the Ubuntu Live CD (if the HDD is listed) but not sure if it'll work ;)

Thank you again for your help,
Chris
Old 11-07-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help so far, can I get some advice with the following:

unsure how I did this but I get the following text appearing when trying to select boot device:

"Use the up- and down-arrow keys to move to desired boot device. Press [Enter] to attempt the boot or ESC to cancel.

Internal HDD
CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
Cardbus NIC
Onboar NIC

BIOS Setup
Diagnostics"

I pressed ESC.

What do I do next? Haven't done the Hard Drive backup (Ubuntu Live) yet as haven't got a blank CD but what does the above mean?

Many thanks,
Chris
Old 11-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
Registered Member

of course you have to select Internal HDD as boot option and try if system boots.

if no success, then create BOOT CD as SPUNK said and again at this same very screen select CD/DVD/CD-RW option as boot device ( keeping the BOOT CD in the drive)
Old 11-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
BIOS Setup
Diagnostics"
Press F12 at bootup and try the Dell Diagnostics. This will tell you if the HDD has failed or not.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #10
Registered Member

Trying Ubuntu Live CD but how do I get a 753MB file onto a 700MB CD?

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #11
Registered Member

Hi,

Got through the Ubuntu Live CD process (mainly) but when get to one of the last bits:
'sudo: bin/bash:' it says command not found.

Unable to mount Volume,

Any ideas?
Old 11-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Interesting!

I don't have much time right now and will be away much of the day, but I suggest you have a look at this topic and proceed to follow the advice that I offered there in order to have the best chance of recovering your files.

Windows 7 - 0x00000024 error

If a straight-forward mounting of the partition is not possible, we may be able to mount it read-only using GParted (contained in PartedMagic) for the purpose of data recovery. That offers your best chance of a straight-forward copy/paste recovery. If that does not work out, then we can try other means, also with tools available on the PartedMagic CD.

I will look in on you when I get home. Good luck.

Closed Thread