Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

My winlogon.exe was deleted

This is a discussion on My winlogon.exe was deleted within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. To make a long story short, my AVG free deleted my winlogon.exe, or at least moved it into quarantine. Now

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

To make a long story short, my AVG free deleted my winlogon.exe, or at least moved it into quarantine. Now my computer reboots just before going into the login screen, even for safe mode.

So I've poked around a bit, and have tried various solutions, both of which can be found here:

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?4,84847,page=1,backpage=,sv=]]

I have tried using the Windows Xp installation CD's recovery mode, and typing

expand D:\i386\winlogon.ex_ C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe

but it says, Unable to create file Winlogon.exe. 0 file(s) expanded.

I also tried moving the file into one of the higher folders, like C:\Windows, or even just C:\, but it wouldn't work. So then I copied the file from another computer onto a floppy disk, and tried to copy it to the correct directory with,

copy B:\winlogon.exe C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe

but it tells me The file could not be copied.

I am stuck at this point. If anyone could help me, it would be much appreciated.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi Tecnoob!!

It seems you already almost found the solutions, but it may be a slight mistakes there. Can you try doing this step again:

but, with a slight change in the command syntax such as below:

copy B:\winlogon.exe C:\Windows\System32\

Try that one, and see whether your computer is working fine again
I'll be here, just post again so that I can follow up

Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hello bhahar84,

I tried what you said but it still says The file could not be copied.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Ok, I just realized that your step and syntax were correct. Ok, can you try to do the windows repair? Boot from cd, but don't format your drive, just choose the Repair options (you can choose that by pressing R on the setup screen)

Hope that maybe help you
Old 01-15-2008, 12:30 AM   #5
Registered Member

Sorry, I'm kind of new to this, how do you do the Windows Repair function? I boot from the XP setup cd and push R, now I am in the recovery console. What do I do next?
Old 01-15-2008, 12:45 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi, here I provided some important links that you may refer on how to use Recovery Console.

Using the Command Console

You may refer to that part on that link. You may provided some windows installation folder, if you have more than one windows folder. Choose the one, by inserting number 1, and pressing Enter. Then, you may require to type the password of the administrator (usually the password for one account that you are using).

After you enter the Recovery Console, try to copy paste the file from floppy using the command before:

Let's see whether that helped you
Old 01-15-2008, 12:51 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

You may need to refer this link, just as a reference

Basic step by step on recovery console:
Recovery Console Process

This is recovery console for Win2000, but basically it the same with WinXP:
Recovery Console Win2000

A 'real' screenshot of Recovery Console in WinXP:
Screenshot Recovery Console

Hope this link helps you a bit on Recovery Console
Old 01-15-2008, 01:37 AM   #8
Registered Member

When I enter that command it says The file could not be copied.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:37 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Ok, can I know what is your floppy drive, is it B drive or A drive?

Can you try command syntax like below:
copy A:\winlogon.exe C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe

If not working, try this:
copy A:\winlogon.exe C:\Windows\System32
Old 01-15-2008, 03:23 AM   #10
Registered Member

I did dir B: and the file is there. So its on drive B:. I guess i should tell you now, the DVD drive and the floppy drive are both external USB drives. My drives in the computer aren't working, so I have to use them.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:04 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Oh...ok, so it seems like B drive. Emm, I think I'm also a little bit confuse with this case. Let me ask my colleague here, maybe they can assist you on this, ok
Old 01-15-2008, 04:22 AM   #12
Registered Member

Its pretty late as well, perhaps when some of the other regulars get on we can have more ideas. Cyas tomorrow... or today I should say.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:55 AM   #13
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Lets take a step back to the Repair install shall we?

Set the computer to boot from cd first in the BIOS
Place the xp cd in cdrom and reboot
Boot from the xp cd and choose install
Ignore the first repair option and continue with install
When windows finds the previous installation and offers to repair
then do the repair
If you have xp sp2 installed it should be incorporated into your xp disk

Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD
How to perform a Repair Installation of Windows XP

Before you perform a repair installation of Windows XP, you must uninstall Internet Explorer 7. If you do not uninstall Internet Explorer 7 in this situation, Internet Explorer will no longer work after the repair installation is completed. Specifically, the repair installation does not restore earlier versions of the files in the Program Files\Internet Explorer folder. Therefore, the Internet Explorer 7 files will be incompatible with the Internet Explorer 6 files that are installed in the Windows\System32 folder.

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed
Old 01-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #14
Registered Member

Hello Geekgirl,

I will try to do the repair installation, but we have a small problem. I can't get into Windows to uninstall Internet Explorer 7. I can't even get into safe mode. This is because my winlogon.exe file is gone. So is there a way to uninstall IE 7 from the recovery console?
Old 01-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #15
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Quote:
If Internet Explorer 7 cannot be uninstalled, but if the Windows\ie7\Spuninst folder exists, uninstall Internet Explorer 7 in the Recovery Console. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Restart the computer in the Recovery Console. For more information about how to use the Recovery Console, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307654 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/) How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
2. Type the following commands.

Note Press ENTER after each command.
CD ie7\spuninst
batch Spuninst.txt
3. Insert the Windows XP installation CD into the computer's CD drive, and then restart the computer.
4. Perform a Repair installation of Windows XP. After the Repair installation process is complete, start Internet Explorer 6, and then make sure that it works.
5. Install Windows XP SP2.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964
Old 01-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #16
Registered Member

I just performed the repair installation. I had to enter the key, and register again, is that normal? Regardless, it booted to my desktop, and began loading my startup processes, and then I got a BSOD.

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows SubSystem system process terminated unexpectedly with a staus of 0X
c0000005 (0x7c9106c3 0x0069f36c).
The system has been shut down.

It then dumped physical memory to disk. I googled around, and apparently it is related to winlogon.exe. So my troubles continue.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:03 AM   #17
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Yes this is normal.
The only thing left IMO is to format and reinstall a fresh copy of Windows.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #18
Registered Member

This would erase everything on my computer right? Are there no fixes for this BSOD?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:51 AM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi Tecnoob!!

Yup, the format and clean reinstall means the hard drive will be cleaned. Which means all the datea will be erased permanently. It seems like there is no other solutions, since Geekgirl already provide you with the most possible solutions

But, I have an idea here, don't sure whether it would work or not, but you might want to give it a shot if you really want to avoid the reformat. You can try to plug out the hard drive from your computer, try to connect it to other computer (the best is using the USB based external casing so it won't corrupt other system) and try to copy paste the file winlogon.exe to its default destination. After that, try to reconnect the hard drive to your computer and try to boot up . Hopefully this resolve your issue
Old 01-23-2008, 02:18 AM   #20
Registered Member

Interesting, I'll try that as soon as I get my hands on another working tower. My hard drive doesn't have USB capabilities, but there are several ports to plug it in to my motherboard, and I assume, on other computers as well. So when I start up on the other computer, it will work because it normally dosen't use my hard drive to boot up, is that right? I would hate to screw up another computer like mine. And once I get in, two hard drives will be in the my computer directory, and it will be as simple as copying the file from one drive to the other. I would like to know if I have the steps correct before doing this, or if there is anything else I need to know.