Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

My PC turns off in Normal Mode but works in Safe Mode

This is a discussion on My PC turns off in Normal Mode but works in Safe Mode within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Greetings. As the headline above says i have this problem for few days now, and still can't solve it. First

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Greetings.
As the headline above says i have this problem for few days now, and still can't solve it.
First day when it happened it turned off only once, and after that i turned it on normally and it worked fine.
Second day it happened few times, but i managed to "make it through".
But today it is impossible, whenever i want to go on Normal Mode it turns off, and i am writing this in safe mode with networking option.
I asked my friend on the phone about it (not really useful when you're asking for help on the phone), he told me to try to to turn off some startup programs in System Configuration Utility, so i removed some and i left only my anti-virus program, some nVidia thing,probably a driver i don't know, and some win32.dll file ,that is pretty much important i think. I even tried to restore my system backing it few days backwards and both of these options worked! - for 30 minutes or so, until it turned off again.
I really don't know what else can i do.
I am well acquainted with a bit more than computer basics, but something really advanced has yet to be learned.
So please, help me solve this, i can't think of anything else, the only thing i am sure is that this problem is not a hardware problem.
The last option for me is reinstalling windows, but if you can help that it won't come to that.

My config: AMD Athlon (x2) Dual Core 4000+
1gb ram
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (integrated one :) my Nvidia 9850 GS died like 2,3 months ago xD)
160 gb hard drive Western Digital.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Hi Majestic616, welcome to the forums.

To be honest, it does sound suspiciously like malware..especially the win32.dll listing in msconfig. Your restore point is most probably infected too, hence why the problems reoccur after using system restore.

Your best option is to follow the instructions in the link below:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for the information.
I was looking at the topic you've linked, but i have to say the guide seems too much of a job :) . I tried to restore system even more to the past dating to like a week ago, but the problem still exists.
I am back on Safe Mode with Networking ,so bored can't do anything ,can't even turn on my sound as it says in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services>Windows Audio : Cannot start in Safe Mode.
I got nothing to do now. I ran out of ideas. I have to say sorry to that topic you've shown ,seems too complicated and i think i'll fail if i follow it.
Seems that i have to make some backups and start re-installing Windows.
Unless there is another way?
Even if most of my tests point out that this might be a virus after all ,what if it's not?
What would you say : Restored my PC on 3 days ago=Problem exists
Restored my PC on 7 days ago or more= Problem exists

There were no problems last week. So, can a virus stay in the system even i restored it far far before it even got into the system?
Also you mentioned that it's odd that win32.dll in in my msconfig ,so if theoretically this is a virus it's in the system. I tried to scan in Safe Mode, but during the scan all system files were -Locked.Not tested. That's what it said, so i assume if win32.dll is a virus then it wasn't scanned.
This situation really gives me hard time..so frustrated right now
Old 04-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Try running an online malware scanner...should be ok to do that in Safe Mode with Networking.

System restore does not restore your entire system, just certain files so assuming the restore points are clean, it means the infection is still in the same place before and after the restore.

I would advise you at least attempting the steps in the link I provided. Even if you're unable to carry out any steps, you should still be able to produce a log for one of our analysts who would be able to advise you further. Just take your time and i'm sure we'll be able to make some progress.

Failing that, a format/reinstall would be the best option but then you'd have to think about backing up all your data, then installing all your programs, getting your settings right, finding drivers, getting Windows Updates etc.

It's entirely up to you though
Old 04-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
Registered Member

Yes i understand.
Thanks for everything.
I'm gonna give a shot. Hope i won't fail. :)
As i said before, my last option is re-installing.