Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My pc is dying...

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Romanov77 
#1 ·
Sorry if Im a bit quick, but I dont know if I'll be able to finish this message before the pc crashes.

Recently, after no particular event, my pc started to freeze. Freeze completely.
It doesnt respond to anything. The freezing seem to happen at random...no particualr event seems to be involved.
It happens in safe mode too and sometimes even during the boot sequence

I tried to make various virus & spyware scans, but I never got them complete because the pc freezed before it could complete them.
The pc works flawlessy...before hanging.

Its worth to note that the local temprature is 30° and the humidity percentage is around 62%...could this be the cause?

THanks in advance!:wink:

#2 · (Edited)
I'd do a physical inspection for dust clogged fans, then I'd do a digital inspection by going into BIOS and looking around for temperature readings & voltage readings.

I'm thinking either the CPU is shutting itself off due to high temps or the power supply is failing.

If your BIOS doesn't report these things (pretty sure any modern BIOS does) then maybe you can get it to run long enuf to install Speedfan or Everest or another diagnostic utility?

Open the PC case and aim a portable room fan in there, set on medium or high. Unless the CPU is making terrible contact with the heatsink this should knock several degrees off your processor temp. Then see if it'll run.

How old is this PC anyway? While you've got the hood up inspect the motherboard capacitors for signs of failure. Google "badcaps" for some pictures.

#3 ·
Bartender said:
I'd do a physical inspection for dust clogged fans, then I'd do a digital inspection by going into BIOS and looking around for temperature readings & voltage readings.

I'm thinking either the CPU is shutting itself off due to high temps or the power supply is failing.

If your BIOS doesn't report these things (pretty sure any modern BIOS does) then maybe you can get it to run long enuf to install Speedfan or Everest or another diagnostic utility?

Open the PC case and aim a portable room fan in there, set on medium or high. Unless the CPU is making terrible contact with the heatsink this should knock several degrees off your processor temp. Then see if it'll run.

How old is this PC anyway? While you've got the hood up inspect the motherboard capacitors for signs of failure. Google "badcaps" for some pictures.
Thanks for the reply....

The pc is around 3 years old....as soon as my father will be back I'll take a look at the fans and try the things you said.

I'll write the result as soon as I can

#5 ·
whosdat said:
when you remove the side, tell me whats written on the side of the power supply
Codegen 300 W atx 2.03 (p4) Moldel 300x

The problem persist with the sides removed...right now Im using an external fan..I'll report soon if it crashes...

#6 ·
Romanov77 said:
Codegen 300 W atx 2.03 (p4) Moldel 300x

The problem persist with the sides removed...right now Im using an external fan..I'll report soon if it crashes...
Nothing.

Even with the external fan, it crashed.

By the way...I noticed that it seems to crash earlier than ususal if I run resource heavy application, like a videogame...

What should I do??

#8 ·
#10 ·
whosdat said:
beg, borrow, buy or steal a quality power supply

that unit is a low end, low wattage, and basically a paper weight thats in your computer.. that is sub par at best.

tough to diagnose an issue when the primary component is shaky.

Thanks for the support...I'll get a better one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.