Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

My Lenovo laptop with XP is very slow.

This is a discussion on My Lenovo laptop with XP is very slow. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi There, From the last couple of months my laptop has got very very slow and even a single click

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi There,

From the last couple of months my laptop has got very very slow and even a single click on any of the file takes a lot of time to respond. It took a huge amount of time to boot the system. I did the defragmentation and remove the temp files but this is also of no use. I believe there are so many unwanted background processes are going but dont know how to find them and remove them. PF usage of the system is always showing to consume the memory more than 550 - 700 MB. Please advice!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

-- UmJain

Old 11-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Registered Member

Click on "START" then "RUN" then type "msconfig" without the quotes of course and press "ENTER". Click on the "Startup" tab and uncheck any program that you do not need to start when the system starts. See if that helps any.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

Many Thanks for your response and sorry for this late reply from my side but I was out of the country.

As advised, I uncheck everything and its still very slow, it even gets worsen. If I am looking at the perfmon counters page/sec and Avg Disk queue length is almost always showing as 100%.

even when nothing is running on the computer this always is showing as 100% or 90% +

Please advice
Old 01-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi,
What is the make and model of this laptop?
How much memory is installed?
Have you run an Antivirus and Spyware program?
Check out this POST:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html
Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-25-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hi Bill,
Its Lenovo 3000 N100, 512 MB RAM and 80GB hard drive. I haven't run any antivirus/spyware in near past. I checked the link of suspicious programmes provided by you but none of these are in my installed programme list

Thanks

umjain
Old 01-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi,
Go to the Task Manager see how much of the installed memory is being used (PF Usage). You will probably see it higher than 512. In the process tabs (Tell me how many you are running) with no Applications running your system idle process should me around 98%. If it is not, I would suggest that you run your antivirus and spyware programs (besure they are up to date).
If that does not help. Then I would go through the 5 Step Process.
Let me know.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
Registered Member

PF usage is around 425-435MB.System idle process is around 98-99% but it flutuate sometime to 45-50% also. Please note that no application is running on the system currently. As per your suggestion I will run my antivirus/spyware but it might take some time as I will have to renew my Nortan antivirus subscription which is expired couple of weeks before. I will update you once its done. Is there any other thing you want me to do before I run my antivirus/spyware?
Old 01-25-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by umjain2007 View Post
PF usage is around 425-435MB.System idle process is around 98-99% but it flutuate sometime to 45-50% also. Please note that no application is running on the system currently. As per your suggestion I will run my antivirus/spyware but it might take some time as I will have to renew my Nortan antivirus subscription which is expired couple of weeks before. I will update you once its done. Is there any other thing you want me to do before I run my antivirus/spyware?
No, I am thinking spyware or viruses. You should run them both and see if they come up with anything.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #9
Registered Member

Hi Bill,

I ran both antivirus(AVG) and spyware(spybot search & delete). AVG didn't detect any of the virus but yes spybot removed couple of spywares. Avg disk queue length and page/sec is still showing as 100%(though sometime it comes down to 80%, but mostly it remains 100% consistently) One interesting after I did the virus/spyware and then ran disck cleanup(which cleans 15MB), these counters came down to normal but today when i reboot the server its again continue to show the same old behavior. Also system takes a long long time to reboot. I did msconfig and disable couple of startup services which I know wont impact the system but I about rest of the services I dont know which particular services I SHOULD NOT turn off and could affect the system.

Kindly suggest please.

Regards,

- umjain
Old 01-26-2008, 07:23 AM   #10
Registered Member

One more thing After the AVG antivirus diagnosis, kernel32.dll,shell32.dll and host.dll were showing as "change" under the test result and status is showing as "changed". I have no idea what does this "changed" status means.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:38 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi,
Do not worry about the AVG, but was your AVG running a scan when you checked the CPU usage. Double check the task manager after the scan and post the results.
Also did you do a Scan disk and disk defrag yet? Open my Computer>right click on the C: drive>Tools tab. Run both test in this window.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #12
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

rams cheap pop in 2 1gig sticks,i had a problem with kingston but corsair no problem