Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

my laptop shuts off right away when I turn it on

This is a discussion on my laptop shuts off right away when I turn it on within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. so as the title says when I turn on my laptop after about 5 seconds it turns off and about

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

so as the title says when I turn on my laptop after about 5 seconds it turns off and about 2 seconds later it turns on by itself again shuts off again after 5 seconds. This is the first time this has ever happened to me. I leave my laptop on all day I dont turn it off unless I have to. I have my laptop set up on a desk. It does let the fan run and it isn't blocked. I've had my laptop set up in my desk for two years I never really move it unless I travel. My laptop does get really hot but I usually ignore it and I've been doing so for the last two years so I doubt that's the problem. My battery is charged so that's not the problem. Oh and when I woke up this morning my laptop was on but completely frozen I couldn't move anything so I had to shut it off by holding the power button. I tried letting the laptop cool off for a couple of hours and using a hair dryer to blow inside the fan I thought it would cool it down. I also used a vacume tube to suck out all the dust on the fan area and yet I still get the same problem. So if anyone has any suggestions that would be great thanks

Old 07-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Welcome to TSF....

Never ignore a hot laptop (Overheated not stolen) Overheating can cause a lot of problems and especially one that is left running all of the time. Since the laptop does not stay turned-on long enough to do much I would suggest to take the laptop to a certified repair shop for a look see before it is too late. Contact the manufacturer of the laptop and find out where they recommend service.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

oh damn, I was hoping I could do something at home then take it out for repair
Old 07-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

That is my best suggestion for this laptop but if anybody has a better one is to wait and see.

How long does the laptop run in safe mode?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

It wont even run in safe mode , I turn it on my screen its all
black for five seconds and then it turns off.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

There si something being cooked inside if there is not enough time for the computer to run to accomplish a task then you are just putting undo strain on the computer, it may be too late already but I hope not. Please to call the manufacturer of the computer to locate the nearest repair center and take the laptop there it actually should be the best place.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #7
Registered Member

Oh damn, thats not good at all. I really hope its not to late, i have lots of stuff in there i need. Would it still be possible to take out my hardrive and access all the info on there through another computer?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
Registered Member

Smile

Would it still be possible to take out my hard drive and access all the info on there through another computer?

Sure, it's a notebook hard drive which is probably a 2.5 inch drive. Is it an ide hard drive or a sata hard drive?

You can buy a little hard drive case for your hard drive. They are also called enclosures. You want one for a notebook hard drive. You can buy a case that will work with an ide drive or a sata drive. A few cases will work with both. Then you put the hard drive in the case and connect the case to another computer via a usb port. Then your hard drive will show up as an external drive.

For an ide drive, you can buy a little connector that will let you connect it to an ide cable on a desktop computer. Your notebook hard drive will be set up as the master drive, so you have to either connect it to the end of the ide cable on the desktop computer, or figure out where to put a jumper on it to make it a slave drive and use the middle connector on the ide cable.

If it's a sata hard drive, just connect it to a sata cable and a sata power connector and you're all set there.

Did you figure out the problem? Was your notebook overheating?

Happy Trails