Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

My Documents Files Disappeared!!

This is a discussion on My Documents Files Disappeared!! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I noticed yesterday that all the files (that were not in subfolders) in the my documents folder had vanished! Completely.

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

I noticed yesterday that all the files (that were not in subfolders) in the my documents folder had vanished! Completely. Theyre not in the recycle bin, there's no record of them ever being deleted.
A system restore to ages ago doesn't help.

All the important .docs and .txts etc have gone.
All that remains is ONE file i made today and so obviously it happened before that, and all the folders e.g. my scans & my pictures are intact.
Just the 30 odd files that were directly in my documents are gone.

Is there any way i can get them back.
Are they lost forever?

My documents folder seems to be the same one created when i bought the computer so am looking at the right folder.

Only weird operation i can think of that i've performed was a print spool clear operation i found online as my printer queue was stuck, but i dont see a direct connection..

PLEASE help PLEASE :(

Old 05-16-2007, 04:32 AM   #2
Registered Member

Clear net spooler.
Start net spooler
Stop net spooler..

These were the type of operations i was performing...

Old 05-16-2007, 06:45 AM   #3
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Hello, you could have been infected by a virus. Follow the 5 steps of virus removal then post a log.
Click here to view

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Old 04-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
Registered Member

I have exactly the same problem. My files just disappeared from my My Documents folder.

Please let me know if you have discovered how to get your files back.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

I'm afraid not. Maybe if you have the time, follow the steps above and see what response you get?
I have not had the problem since though, so it doesnt seem to be a repetitive virus. :(
Old 01-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Registered Member

I had the same issue and found that there is a c:\Qoobox\BackEnv I had all of the missing profiles in there! It was quarantined by combofix. I suggest to check where is your quarantine folder for your antivirus.

My issue was that profiles has disappeared with all my documents. I've tried to recover it from the RECYCLER, run complete recovery... and couldn't find them. Than I did a search for files being created on that week and found the quarantined files.

Thanks