Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

My computer won't let me type. But keyboard is fine, i think. Please help!

This is a discussion on My computer won't let me type. But keyboard is fine, i think. Please help! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Sorry if this is in the wrong category.. :P anyway, i'm typing this from my laptop because my desktop computer

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Sorry if this is in the wrong category.. :P
anyway, i'm typing this from my laptop because my desktop computer simply won't let me type. The keyboard is fine, i think, it's just that when i type a letter in a text box it doesn't make letters. Instead, it either selects something from the top menu (such as File, Edit, View, Insert, Help, etc., depending on which key i type) or it plays that *bump* noise--the noise Windows XP makes when you try to backspace at the beginning of a text box or something like that. But my keyboard still works perfectly in every other way. So i do not think it's that. If you know how to fix this i'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

Old 01-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
Registered Member

press (alt gr) on you keyboard

Old 01-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Make sure there are no stuck keys. Turn the keyboard upside down and blow it out with a can of compressed air. In case there are any crumbs or dust etc.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Registered Member

Fixed! thank you
Old 01-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

You are welcome! Please tell us exactly what you did and mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top
Attached Images

Closed Thread

« help | hard drive »
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search