Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

"My Computer" takes too long to load.

This is a discussion on "My Computer" takes too long to load. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. everytime i try to open my computer from desktop it takes like 5 minutes to open and the flashlight icon

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

everytime i try to open my computer from desktop it takes like 5 minutes to open and the flashlight icon just keeps going back and forth but not my documents. its annoying especially when im in a hurry! help me please! >.<

Old 11-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Disconnect any USB Hard Drives, Flash Drives or other devices other then printer, keyboard and mouse. do you have any Mapped Network Drives? Try disconnecting them. Then try this: Troubleshooting "My Computer" Opening Slowly on Windows XP - How-To Geek

Old 11-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

got no USB/flash drives connected no printer only mouse and keyboard, done doing those steps and still it takes forever to load. :|
Old 11-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Run CCleaner and Analyze your drive and Run Cleaner. Do a full scan with Malwarebytes. Go to Start/Run and type chkdsk C: /R and press enter. The Command Prompt comes up, type a Y and manually reboot the computer. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors. After that go to Start/Run and type dfrg.msc and choose Defrag Now.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
Registered Member

yess! thank you so much! i just have one more issue with my PC. everytime i remove programs using the add/remove an error pops it says "The windows installer cannot be accessed. This can occur when running windows in safe mode, or the windows installer is not correctly installed. contact your support personnel for assistance". any other way to fix it without reinstalling my OS? thanks. :)
Old 11-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to Start/Run and type services.msc and press enter. In the services window, scroll down to the Windows Installer Service and double click it. Make sure the Startup status is set to Manual and Start the Service. Then download the Windows Installer.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:51 AM   #7
Registered Member

Confused

umm sorry but i cant find the Windows Installer. windows audio/firewall/image acquisition/ management instrument/ management driver extension/ time and windows user mode driver are the only windows listed in the services.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:35 AM   #8
Windows Tech Team

Hi

See this document on a possible solution to your problem. It is a little technical so if you have any trouble let us know.
Error message when you try to add or remove a program on a computer that is running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003: "The Windows Installer service could not be accessed"

Also try downloading and installing Windows installer 4.5 to see if that makes a difference:
You need to download the last file - WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe
Old 11-22-2011, 04:43 AM   #9
Registered Member

aaw thank you soo much for the help guys! the add/remove is working properly now! yeey! thanks a bunch! Godbless. :D
Old 11-22-2011, 05:04 AM   #10
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

Mark the thread as solved please.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Closed Thread