Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

MSVCR90.dll not found

This is a discussion on MSVCR90.dll not found within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I really need help here nothing is working. I cant use realplayer. Now i rebooted my computer went to reinstall

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

I really need help here nothing is working. I cant use realplayer. Now i rebooted my computer went to reinstall some stuff again. When i try to open real player now it says MSVCR90.dll not found. I moved that file into real player or program files and get runtime error library error and all this. I have uninstalled an dreinstalled realplayer a dozen times. I tried to register the file but it doesnt do it. There seems to be no way to fix this problem.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

For a quick-fix try, if you have either an ATi or nVidia based video card (or integrated onboard) -- download the latest drivers & see if that helps. Some gaming sites have reported trouble with some of the latest patches -- Civilization V had a patch that cause a msvcr90.dll error, for example (for that error, the newer drivers provide relief).

Is it a new version of RealPlayer that you are installing? The latest version requires that you have Windows XP's Service Pack 3 installed already. If you are behind on your Windows updates, uninstall RealPlayer, download and run CCleaner (both the Cleaning & Registry functions) [--- http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/?tag=mncol;1 ---], visit Windows Update & install Service Pack 3 plus all other important updates, until you are up-to-date. Grab a fresh download of Realplayer, and don't use any "download manager" software to get it -- just download it straight from your browser. Then try reinstalling it.

Scan for malware, too -- since infections can cause system misbehavior. If you find a serious infection, visit our Security forums here at TSF for their help with detecting & cleaning --- http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

You can also consider using System Restore if all was working well until just recently.

For more clues to any other system troubles you have, take a look in your Event logs. Go to the Control Panel and open the Administrative Tools. You'll see Event Viewer among the tools.

Best of luck
. . . Gary

Old 11-16-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Try placing the MSVCR90.dll in the Windows/System32 folder.A system restore would be the easiest thing to do.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks guys but i tried all these suggestions and still i get the same ****. but also it doesnt let me use windows updates just says Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating software for use with the website…

The website uses ActiveX controls to determine which version of the software your computer is running. If you see an ActiveX warning, make sure the control is digitally signed by Microsoft before installing it or allowing it to run. then nothing happens. i think my whole computer is simply ******.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Hi again

Sorry I'm a bit late getting back to you -- it's a busy time of year.

Since some of your symptoms can be malware related, and since the help you get over in our Security Forum is quite good (and free) -- I think that would be a good next step for you to try. (The link in my first reply gets you to the Security forum's first steps pages)

Once clean, if you still can't get Windows Updates to run, you might try resetting IE back to it's default settings, and installing/reinstalling the latest Windows Update Agent (if you are using 32-bit Windows XP, here's the direct link --- http://download.windowsupdate.com/Wi...gent30-x86.exe

Here are some articles with all the details about resetting IE from Microsoft ---
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...rer-8-settings
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Best of luck!
. . . Gary
Old 01-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
Registered Member

I had this problem too but I think I have fixed it. You need to uninstall Real Player and then reinstall it, but with a tweek, which I discovered at Real Player tech support:

http://real.custhelp.com/app/answers...r_id/166/sno/0

The trick it seems is to completely scrub away all vestiges of the old program. After uninstalling in the usual way, use My Computer to also delete these two folders:

c:\Program Files\Real\Real Player, and
c:\ProgramFiles\Common Files\Real.

With all the old stuff gone, the reinstall has a better chance of rebuilding the necessary components, and you should get full functionality.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
CCT
Helper

If you only have SP2 (as you show) they say you need SP3 (in XP).

http://www.real.com/realplayer/search under system requirements

Edit: I have realplay.exe version 11.0.0.663 and only have that .dll under Visual C++ and .Net 3.5, NOT in system32 or anywhere else.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #8

I'd get rid of Real Player and use Media Player Classic from the K-Lite Codec instead.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:39 AM   #9
Windows Tech Team

Hi

CCT is correct the file comes from Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package which you can download from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=A7B7A05E-6DE6-4D3A-A423-37BF0912DB84&displaylang=en
Old 01-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
Registered Member

For what it's worth I also dropped the two critical dll files (msvcp90.dll & msvcr90.dll) into c:\Windows\System32, and I was all patched up (SP3 and beyond). Not sure if this made a difference but it's not likely to hurt. These dll files are easy to grab off the net. Me, I pretty much only use Real Player for the flv video capture function; I use GOM Player to view. Anyhow, everything is working good now.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
CCT
Helper

While I am NOT in favour of just willy-nilly downloading drivers and other system functions and sticking them in various folders, it is useful to keep in mind that Windows may not see them anyway unless you register them (basically, letting the system know where they are) as would have been done had they been installed with an installer package.

So; Start, Run, type regsvr32 <path & filename of dll> and press OK.