Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

MSinfo32 (amoung others) Fails To Launch

This is a discussion on MSinfo32 (amoung others) Fails To Launch within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. First, I'd like to say that I've been looking for a good techie forum for a good, long time... And

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 10:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via ICQ to EchoSex Send a message via AIM to EchoSex Send a message via MSN to EchoSex Send a message via Yahoo to EchoSex

First, I'd like to say that I've been looking for a good techie forum for a good, long time... And I think I found it. Yall look promising, and I hope I can help and be helped while I'm here.

So, here's my problem... Oddly enough, it involves installing camera software that causes certian applications to fail in the launching process. I own two cameras: A Labtec Webcam and a Vivitar Vivicam 55. Both used to work perfectly fine up until recently. Now, whenever I install the software or have the software installed, several applications, including msinfo32 and my Nero WaveEditor (as well as Counter-Strike Source and numberous others) refuse to launch. I'll double click to start the applications, and I'll see my HDD LED fickle and fad along with the mouse loading icon... Then nothing. Nadda. Zip. No program, not even in the processes tab. Needless to say: This pisses me off.

The only way I was able to solve this problem was by reinstalling Windows after a FULL hard drive formatting. It was due time, anyways. Ever since, I've used system restore points so that I could attempt to fix the problem on my own. No luck, so far.

My theory involves updates to Windows XP. It's the ONLY explanation as I did manage to get the software and applications to work withen the first few hours after my computer had it's OS reinstalled. It should also be noted that I have a laptop, as well, and I've had the SAME problem with it, even though the applications on the laptop do not match any on the desktop (it's a completely different system, although it has the same OS).

I've tried talking to Microsoft Tech Support, but all they did was tell me to do everything I've already done (Clean reboot, regestry clean, blah blah blah..) and hand me off to other companies' tech support. After spamming my inbox for about a month, I give up. Any ideas?

(Any help is EXTREMELY apprecaited.. I'm desperate.)

Old 06-14-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Hi there and welcome to TSF...

Does the same happen in safe mode or from other user profiles on your PC?

you're probably on the right track by suspecting a Windows Update of some sort....it may be worth trying to uninstall each update one by one then reboot and test to see if the problem still occurs. If it does, continue to uninstall the updates, if not, then you have found the confliction.

Also, while you're doing this...ensure you disable Windows Update as it may try to re-download and install the updates after you uninstall them.

Hope that helps :-)

Old 06-14-2006, 10:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via ICQ to EchoSex Send a message via AIM to EchoSex Send a message via MSN to EchoSex Send a message via Yahoo to EchoSex
Safe mode *Slaps forehead* Now why didn't I think of that?

I will attempt to do so, and report my findings. I will also see if the update has anything to do with it, and hopefully will nail just which update it is.

Updating the status as soon as I can.. (Note - has anyone else had this problem before? I'm don't think I'm the only one.. I mean, two systems have this issue. So odd..)
Old 06-14-2006, 11:06 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Well, here's the update:

Safe Mode didn't help :/ As soon as I rebooted, the problem reared it's ugly head once more. I would like to mention, however, that in Safe Mode, msinfo32 DID launch... But my Wave Editor did not.

I'm now attempting removing the updates until I find the ones causing the problem. This'll take a while :P
Old 06-15-2006, 01:10 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

*Starting to wish there was an edit button haha*

Well, I'm stumped... I uninstalled all my updates.. Installed the software and the problem presists.

I shut down some of my programs (TuneXP, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Search and Destroy, Windows Defender).. Installed the software and the problem presists.

From what I've obsereved, the program doesn't save it's software in the Programs folder (oddly enough), but rather in the WINDOWS folder. It saves them as "Twain32" (there maybe be an underscore there). I can't custom install the software, but since I've used the software before with no problems, I couldn't say that it's directory is the problem.

I noticed another thing... I don't know how much this'll help, but.. I have "Open Program" linked to my sound scheme so I can litterely hear what's going on in my computer. When msinfo32 opens without the software, it makes two quick beeps, opens, and is followed by another two quick beeps. WITH the software, it only makes two quick beeps and never opens. I also notice a flutter withen my processes tab when trying to open the msinfo32 program. It's as if someting closes it as soon as it starts.

As for running my Wave Editor, it appears in the process tab, but not on screen.

It's rather confusing... I hope somebody has some sort of answer.