Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

MS Paint default file save type

This is a discussion on MS Paint default file save type within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been searching high and low and checking the windows registry but I can't seem to find a way to

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

I've been searching high and low and checking the windows registry but I can't seem to find a way to change the default save file type in Paint. It comes up with BMP as the default but I want JPG to be the default whenever I do a save/save as, so I don't have to change it all the time. Any suggestions?

Old 05-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
Registered Member

Here is a work around.

Try this to see if it works for you.

1. Open a blank screen in Paint and save it as a .jpg in the location you want as your default with the name "default.jpg".
2. Right click and drag the Paint program from the Start, Programs,
Accessories location onto the desktop and select copy here.
3. Right click on the Paint icon and then left click Properties. You should see a line like this "%SystemRoot%\system32\mspaint.exe" (without the quotes.)
4. Place the cursor after the .exe and type a space.
5. Type the full path and filename for the default.jpg file you saved (if there is any spaces in the path you need to enclose anything you type in quotes. The final line should look like this

%SystemRoot%\system32\mspaint.exe "C:\this is the path here\default.jpg"

6.click OK.

Double click on the new desktop icon, the file will open and the Save As default location will be where the file is located. If you make the default.jpg read only, you won't inadvertently change the file and a Save As will then pop up for any attempt to Save.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeid4me View Post
Here is a work around.

1. Open a blank screen in Paint and save it as a .jpg in the location you want as your default with the name "default.jpg".
3. Right click on the Paint icon and then left click Properties. You should see a line like this "%SystemRoot%\system32\mspaint.exe" (without the quotes.)
5. Type the full path and filename for the default.jpg file you saved (if there is any spaces in the path you need to enclose anything you type in quotes. The final line should look like this

6.click OK.

Double click on the new desktop icon, the file will open and the Save As default location will be where the file is located. If you make the default.jpg read only, you won't inadvertently change the file and a Save As will then pop up for any attempt to Save.
Thx for the info. I'll have to try that on my XP machine. On this new Vista it's not an issue since it is set to JPG as a default.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
Registered Member

Good to know that you are on Vista now :) (Pun Intended)..

NJoy..
Old 11-14-2008, 11:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeid4me View Post
Here is a work around.

6.click OK.

Thanks for the workaround.

-NKA