Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Movie Maker won't save to disk

This is a discussion on Movie Maker won't save to disk within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I use Movie Maker to transfer videos from VHS tape through a camcorder. I have done this ever since XP

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

I use Movie Maker to transfer videos from VHS tape through a camcorder. I have done this ever since XP SP2 was released which allowed digital pass through. I have successfully transferred videos of more than 3 hours in length and saved them in the best format MM can do.

A few months ago the following problem appeared. After I clicked the "finish" button when I transferred the amount of video I was interested in, MM did it's usual processing and then instead of displaying a bunch of clips, like it normally does, a dialog appeared stating "Operation Complete". I click the "ok" button and the video clips appeared. I ignored the message and edited the video as in the past. I attempt to save the movie to disk as I have done a thousand time before. However, instead of saving it to disk, it tries to burn it to a CD.

I have tried opening small videos and saving them but I get the same problem every time. I checked for viruses & spyware. I downloaded MM and re-installed it (there's no way that I could see to un-install MM). I verified that I have tens of gigabytes free on the hard drive. I have increased the page file. I am running a 2.58Ghz P4 with 768MB ram. The resources look good.

Aside from a total re-install of XP, any suggestions?
Thanks

Old 06-16-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via Yahoo to src2206

I suggest that you try to edit and save another video, but this time do not ignore the message as that may give us a clue of what really is happening.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have tried editing and saving many different videos - even small ones of only 2 minutes long. All the message says is "Operation Completed". The only option is to hit "OK". I know that this appears to be a useless error message. Normally this message should never occur. I run MM on several computers. Now I am wondering if it's not a hardware issue because the laptop that I use at work recently started doing the same thing after many hours of video editing. Although I get this message on the laptop, it still saves to disk correctly. Maybe it's some hardware that just starting to go bad. What's a good, intensive tool to check ram & cpu health?

Thanks
Old 06-16-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via Yahoo to src2206

If you wish you may benchmark your hardwares using SiSoft Sandra Lite http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.ht...=sware_dl_3264

BTW, what is the file system of the partition where you intend to save your edited video? I hope it is ntfs.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:28 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yes, the disk is formated NTFS and I have ~20GB free.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:00 AM   #6
Roaming To Help

I've had this problem when your disk is fragmented heavily, especially the space where MM saves.

Orthos will test your CPU health and Memtest86+ will test your RAM.

Run a disk defrag and make sure you look at the details to see where and how many most of the fragmentation occur.

But it may also be a setting changed, one I'm not too sure about just yet, but will check later up in MM once I'm home.