Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Mouse and Keyboard turn off randomly

This is a discussion on Mouse and Keyboard turn off randomly within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ever since I upgraded my video card to a ATI Radeon 9600, 256, my mouse and keyboard will just turn

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 08:07 AM   #1
Registered Member

Ever since I upgraded my video card to a ATI Radeon 9600, 256, my mouse and keyboard will just turn off at random times. I think it only occurs when the video card is in use. So say if Im playing a game, sometimes 30 minutes in or 2 hours in, the keyboard and mouse will turn off, and then about 5 seconds later, my entire computer reboots itself, which is very frustrating and annoying. Ive installed drivers, and that didnt help either. Why is this happening? My mouse is a Logitech Cordless MouseMan Optical and my keyboard is Logitech Cordless Desktop. I am running on Windows XP.

Old 08-26-2004, 01:10 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Carol Greene

Hmm. I'm not sure but you might go to the web sites of your mouse and keyboard maker and make sure that you have the latest drivers available for XP. Also, make sure the keyboard and mouse are plugged in really well to the back of your computer. I too had a weird mouse problem and figured out it was broken wires in the mouse cord. I went to a wireless optical mouse. Don't pooh pooh the easy things. Good luck!

Old 09-18-2004, 03:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have exactly the same problem. I use the same mouse and keyboard and sometimes they turn off and "force" the PC to reboot. Mainly it is when I play morrowind, but now it also happens when I am doodling in the desktop.
I have installed the latest drivers, but it didn't work out... separate they pose no problem (I have used mouse1-keyboard1 - the problem above; mouse2 - keyboard1 - no prob; mouse1 - keyboard2 - no prob). For this test I used Logitech, but different models.
So....?