Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Missing asms file for repair

This is a discussion on Missing asms file for repair within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I know there a bunch of other threads regarding this missing asms file but mine seems to be slightly different

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

I know there a bunch of other threads regarding this missing asms file but mine seems to be slightly different in that my whole computer freezes up when it asks for the file....

I was using the Windows XP Disk Cleanup program when all of a sudden a warning box came up saying files had become unstable and Windows would become unstable and that I should insert the Windows disc. I didnt have the disc with me so i just shut the computer off hoping no changes would have stayed but when I went to turn it back on windows wouldnt load and it said the file "hal.dll" was missing and to reinstall the file.

Later on I found my Windows disc and started to do the recovery install to try and replace whatever files had become unstable. The laptop restarted after installing some files and then a box shows up saying:

"The file "asms" on WinXP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD is needed"

and below it was the directory leading to

GLOBALROOT\DEVICE\CDROMO\1386

Now at this point my keyboard or mouse no longer work and I have to just turn the laptop off. I have tried looking into other options that other people had suggested like switching the cd drive and hard drive priorities around since the files were already copied to the hard drive and that didnt work. Also I have seen people recommend trying to start a DOS prompt to get into the registry by hitting SHIFT and F10, when I hit F10 when booting from my VAIO it goes to the Sony Recovery Program which only allows me to wipe everything from the computer back to factory standards. I really need to get all my content off of that computer, I already bought a new laptop which is running Vista 64. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My laptop came with windows installed from sony and I am using a disc that a friend had.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

If all you need is the data, then simply remove the HDD and connect it to your new laptop using an external USB connector or enclosure. You can simply copy your data from the drive. When you are done, reinstall the HDD into the old laptop and run the Sony recovery software.

A device such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812156102