Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Mini 110 gets full of Roxio like backup files

This is a discussion on Mini 110 gets full of Roxio like backup files within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Since almost a year and a half I enjoy working with my Mini 110 XP Home pack 3. Since the

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Since almost a year and a half I enjoy working with my Mini 110 XP Home pack 3. Since the very beginning I preferred to uninstall Roxio. Well, I have been realizing that I have a huge 64 G System Rollback Data folder, with a total hardisk's filling of 90 (it's a 150 G one). I checked my restoring points and I found an "everyday" plan. I googled a lot before bothering anybody, finding just real 'innocent' advices as to click off restoring function and then, on again. Obviously, nothing happens. Furthermore (or "thanks God", perhaps) System Rollback Data's folder is absolutely impossible to find and see it. Last opinions that I found in Google were insults against Mini 110 and desires to get rid of it. But, actually, what can one do in front of this really incredible situation? I will try to include a screenshot of TreeSize as to realize that hardisk is occupied by Rollback Data twice my 'real' useful files. I thanks any help to get rid of this. Friendly regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tree3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	93271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hardisk.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	93272  

Old 06-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Other posts in other forums might be confusing Roxio's System Rollback Data with Windows System Restore (2 Different animals) turning off system restore will remove any System Restore points but will not affect System Rollback Data. To remove older backups of Rollback open My Computer and Right click the C: drive and click Disk Cleanup.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Many, many thanks. This afternoon have done that at least four times. It's too obvious but unsuccessful. Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Other posts in other forums might be confusing Roxio's System Rollback Data with Windows System Restore (2 Different animals) turning off system restore will remove any System Restore points but will not affect System Rollback Data. To remove older backups of Rollback open My Computer and Right click the C: drive and click Disk Cleanup.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Did you try the suggestion in the link at Post #6 ? To boot with an Ubuntu CD and delete the folder?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

I wasn't enough clear to point that this happens in my Netbook, not my desk PC; I have a spplendid external CD unit, but I have XP home... I intend that Ubuntu doesn't function with XP. I will try... Does Ubuntu make appear at first, the invisible folder? This folder is picked up by every cleaning application or antivirus taking the majority of time inside it. But I cannot make it visible for me. Cheers and many thanks.
Quote:
[URL="http://www.hpminiguide.com/forum/hp-mini-110-1101-discussion/2537-system-rollback-data.html"]
Did you try the suggestion in the link at Post #6 ? To boot with an Ubuntu CD and delete the folder?
Old 06-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

I wasn't enough clear to point that this happens in my Netbook, not my desk PC; I have a spplendid external CD unit, but I have XP home... I intend that Ubuntu doesn't function with XP. I will try... Does Ubuntu make appear at first, the invisible folder? This folder is picked up by every cleaning application or antivirus taking the majority of time inside it. But I cannot make it visible for me. Cheers and many thanks.
Quote:
[URL="http://www.hpminiguide.com/forum/hp-mini-110-1101-discussion/2537-system-rollback-data.html"]
Old 06-12-2011, 05:49 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

I would wish to put in the forum's consideration that when I asked HP for support they just offered the idea of nothing less than format the notebook. I think this is outrageous because we are in front of a bug, not a failure, as can easylly seen just googling and reading the numerous guys who claim for the same. I am considering the strong possibility to, first claim straightly to HP high level, by a respectful letter; second, to the administrative institution that cares about the buyer's rights; third, to courts. I have been continuous 8 hours trying just to visualize System Rollback Data's folder, unsuccessfully. It's visible and existing just for special programs as TreSizeFree and similars, together with antiviruses and antimalwares, that take hours scanning it. But not for the user that just wish to delete it or part of it. This problem is a sort of one that, with time, will finnish to "eat" all the hardisk and kill the notebook. Many thanks and regards.
Quote:
Old 06-12-2011, 06:12 AM   #8
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Ubuntu should work fine to find and delete the folder. You might also try Revo Uninstaller to see if it will uninstall the offending program.

Revo Uninstaller - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Downloads
Old 06-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

I am including you a screenshot from an aplication that discloses the very huge System Rollback Data folder. I see no way to delete it, but transferring it to other destination inside Notebook. But, should, anybody dare to delete such an amount of files? Why is it impossible for me to visualize this folder in WE? Many thanks and cheers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tree.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	93289  
Old 06-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
Registered Member

My System

I believe Ubuntu is not the way, but thank you very much indeed. I am sending you a screen shot of TreSize that discloses the size of that folder. Who would dare to delete it? I am perplex and extremely bothered. I have not found even the way to visualize this folder in WE... Cheers.

Quote:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tree.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	93294  
Old 06-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Then just what are you wanting to do?? You do not want to delete it?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
Registered Member

My System

Dear Rich,

In reality, I "wish" to get rid of the huge hardisk filling, but do not know if just deleting that monster, I am not going to behave wrongly. Very clear indeed. As a matter of fact, I "want" things like have lunch now, but I "wish" to find an answer for the Rollback issue. Sorry if I am doing bad with this expectation not to destroy anything at being cautious. Please, sorry indeed again. And, obviously, always many, many thanks. Friendly bye, bye...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
Then just what are you wanting to do?? You do not want to delete it?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #13
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Have you tried uninstalling Roxio BOT using Revo uninstaller?
Old 06-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
Registered Member

My System

Yeahhh.I uninstall everything always with Revo; and once, I had to use the 'severe' windows installer to get rid of last traces of Quiktime. I do not see anything related with Roxio in WE, but this behaviour seems to say on the contrary. How could I pick up those 'traces'? Everything discloses no Roxio material at all. I have every real good tool that can be imagined, included Malwarewbytes with its last Fileassassin that deletes every file one offers it. Yesterday, I was 14 hours in front of notebook looking for an answer for my trouble. It's really incredible how few people seem to have listened of it except the owners who have the obstacle.HP doesn't say anything because, actually, the have nothing to say inside brain. Cheers and thaks
Quote:
Have you tried uninstalling Roxio BOT using Revo uninstaller?
Old 06-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #15
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Can you post a screen shot of the REvo window . . see the link in my signature
Old 06-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #16
Registered Member

My System

Do you believe are going to see mor than I? Could be, could be. Always there is a first time...

Quote:
Can you post a screen shot of the REvo window . . see the link in my signature
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	revo.jpg
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	93311   Click image for larger version

Name:	revo2.jpg
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	93312   Click image for larger version

Name:	revo3.jpg
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	93313  

Old 06-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #17
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Wow . . that is a lot of "stuff" to install on a netbook . . but I don't see the BOT . . it's either included in one of the toolboxes or hidden.

How do you feel about a clean install of the operating system? ( that is the first thing I do on any laptop )
Old 06-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

In Windows Explorer go to Tools/Folder Options/View make sure Show Hidden Files and Folders is checked. Ubuntu should work fine for you. Since you are booting from a Live CD or USB Flash Drive you are not actually booting into Windows XP, so it should see your hidden folder. And since you are not in Windows you can easily Delete this folder. This will delete all of your backups, but will free up a lot of space on the computer. Once that is deleted, if you Boot back into Windows and make sure that it is not System Databack is not running in the System Tray, you should be able to uninstall it.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:17 AM   #19
Registered Member

My System

I will see,for it means to perform a lot of movements; but I will see the possibility. Many thanks and lot of greetings

Quote:
In Windows Explorer go to Tools/Folder Options/View make sure Show Hidden Files and Folders is checked. Ubuntu should work fine for you. Since you are booting from a Live CD or USB Flash Drive you are not actually booting into Windows XP, so it should see your hidden folder. And since you are not in Windows you can easily Delete this folder. This will delete all of your backups, but will free up a lot of space on the computer. Once that is deleted, if you Boot back into Windows and make sure that it is not System Databack is not running in the System Tray, you should be able to uninstall it.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:49 AM   #20
Registered Member

My System

Yeahh, I agree. It's secondary, in part, that lately, I have been in bed for a while for a spinal condition that now is doing pretty well. Then the notebook got transformed in the daily tool. My son says to me "Dad, why do you download so many issues?" (you have to watch desk...) The reason, also, is that I like to have at hand some tools, that I use. I promise to uninstall some ones. Why do you expect to find in Revo, the "bot" (and what's actually that?). One of troubles to clean and install is that I have XP home and I like it (I strongly dislike 7, that I have studied inside my grandchildren´s units). But why to format if the unit is doing pretty well, 'except' for the System Rollerback Data folder? I found a small trace with the word "Roxio" inside the register, as a "dll" shared file but I do not think it could be the cause of the persistence of the "backup". It ought to be a way to visualize the folder and delete it, through more simple ways than formatting and installing. This last would be as accept we are unable to fix the trouble without having to use a bomb. It's possible to 'move' the folder to other place where it's manageable, with one of the applications that offer the 'tree' (SizeMeNow)(I couldn't get it now). I just would like to know if I can delete 68 G's without damaging the Notebook functions. Well, let us see... Many thanks again.
Quote:
Wow . . that is a lot of "stuff" to install on a netbook . . but I don't see the BOT . . it's either included in one of the toolboxes or hidden.

How do you feel about a clean install of the operating system? ( that is the first thing I do on any laptop )