Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Microsoft Security Essentials vs. Malwarebytes

This is a discussion on Microsoft Security Essentials vs. Malwarebytes within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A year or so ago I had a paid subscription of AVG. When I had a bad pc virus that

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
Registered Member

A year or so ago I had a paid subscription of AVG. When I had a bad pc virus that had slipped by AVG, the technician used Malwarebytes to get rid of the problem, which it did. Since then I am using the free version of Malwarebytes. Then came Microsoft Security Essentials. I added it. I use both of these and have had no problems. I am just wondering if it is necessary to have both; or which of the two is better. Your help is appreciated.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

i would keep using both

Old 09-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

oscer1, thanks for the advice.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
- Microsoft Support

Malwarebytes is an on demand malware removal tool, whereas security essentials is always running and checking things on the computer. You typically only need to run malwarebytes when you suspect there's an issue and security essentials is always running and should prevent most issues from ever getting on your system....not necessarily ALL, but most.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 09-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to Rabnix

I'd continue using both. if there are no compatibility issues, then there's no reason to avoid the added security. I use Spybot S&D and Tend Micro Internet Security (used to have AVG, but it was causing problems on my PC, so I switched) I used to use Ad-Aware, too, but I never ended up using it, so it was just a waste of space. NO malware/virus removal tool is 100% so using more can only help.