Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Master Boot Record Error

This is a discussion on Master Boot Record Error within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 09:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

I was on my sister’s computer (HP, 3.2 GHZ, 512 RAM) and I used PNY Attache 256mb flash drive on it. The computer didn’t seem to like it because the flash drive has a built in application and you need to eject it properly.

The next day, I get this message:
ZKCHUNKREADER::ZKCHUNKREADER
Desc. Corrupt file
C:\documents and settings\hp owner\application data\telus\telus security service\spyware.dat

I click on ‘ok’ and it then says “your antispyware could not start. Please visit the support site for assistance”

It’s a long story but nothing is working.

I press ctrl + alt + delete and nothing happens. The keyboard acts like it is not connected (but it is)

I couldn’t turn off the computer so I had to unplug it.

Today, the computer started normally. The desktop showed as well as the ZKCHUNKREADER message. The computer froze up

I started the computer again and I would get

I would unplug because I didnt know what to do and then I might get this during start up

I dont know where their boot disk or recovery cd is (but I doubt she made one)

What should I do when I get the master boot error? I have recovery cd. Would it work on her computer safely?

PS:
Does this mean the driver for the monitor is not installed? It keeps popping up

Thank you

Old 08-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Hi m1000 and welcome to TSF !

The recovery disks will restore the computer to the state it was when you first bought it. You'll lose all the data that's on the drive so don't do that if your sister has any valuable data on it.

I wonder whether this could be virus related so I'll ask a security tech to give a look.

Edit : in the mean time, press F1 to enter setup and check that the hard drive is set as the primary boot device.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:55 PM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Ok, got an answer from Ried. MBR viruses are very rare these days and it's probably not the problem, or at least not the main problem. We have to get into Windows to scan your computer for malwares anyway.

Unplug the power cable, open the case and recheck all your cables. Remember to touch a metal part of the case to discharge yourself before you touch any internal components. Clean any dust there could be on the fans, check that the cpu heatsink is correctly seated and doesn't move at all. Unplug replug the hard drive's cables. Check that your pci cards are correctly seated. Replug the power cable, turn the computer on and check that all the fans are spinning.

Enter the bios at startup (press F1 on the logo screen) and check that all your drives appear in the drive list there. Check that the HDD is set as the primary boot device. Search for some quick boot/logo screen option and disable that so that we get to see the real messages when the computer boots.

Search for some hardware monitor or PC health screen in the BIOS and report the cpu temp, fan speed and voltages (+3.3, +5, +12V) you see there.

Retry to boot the computer. If you can't boot in normal mode then repeatedly press F8 during startup to bring a new menu and choose safe mode in that list. Report here if you can get into safe mode and if you can't get there or can't even get to the F8 menu then report with the exact error message now that you've disabled the logo screen.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:10 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hi
Thank you for your help.

This happened about 5 days ago. My sister is back Friday. Im house sitting

I forgot to mention that I ran anti virus one night. I expected to see results when I came back the next day, but the anti virus wasnt on screen (which I didnt expect)

I went there this afternoon and turned on the computer and initially, it showed the desktop and had the error message about the corrupt file

ZKCHUNKREADER::ZKCHUNKREADER
Desc. Corrupt file
C:\documents and settings\hp owner\application data\telus\telus security service\spyware.dat

Ctrl, alt delete wasnt working. The mouse wasnt working. So I had to unplug. I dont remember what showed up when I re booted.

Ill take the camera there again tomorrow/today and keep track of what happens.

Thank you for your help
Mark
;-)
Old 08-18-2007, 11:19 PM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Ok, so you can get inside windows but the keyboard and mouse don't work. Try in safe mode then (repeatedly press F8 when the computer starts and choose safe mode in the list).

Are you using usb or ps/2 keyboard and mouse ? Try with a ps/2 keyboard and mouse if you have some, remove all usb devices for the time of the troubleshooting.

You should still do the other checks I advised when you have the time as it could be related (this is a desktop, right ?).
Old 08-19-2007, 01:58 AM   #6
Registered Member

I didnt think of safe mode when I was there.
I really dont want to go into the tower if I dont have to. Im going to take a different (usb) mouse and I have the same keyboard as her (I dont use) that I can take over.

We'll see what happens.

Thank you
Old 08-19-2007, 02:03 AM   #7
Registered Member

Yes, it is a desktop pc (HP Pavillion sp?)

PS
when at c prompt in dos, how do you get back to the desktop?

Old 08-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Usually you type exit. If this is the dos prompt you got on the same menu as safe mode then you can simply turn the computer off.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
Registered Member

I went over and started the compter. The desktop came up.

I had the error message about the corrupt file. I called my ISP and they said to re-install the security services they offer.

I opened the browser and it never fully opened. Then the mouse froze up.

I got off the phone and essentially, these screens would appear. It looks like the master boot is fine.

Im going back with my external hard drive and saving her data before it gets worse.

The desktop seems to appear only once and when the computer has been off for quite a awhile.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:10 PM   #10
Administrator
Management Team, Security Center & TSF Academy
Expert Analyst, Moderator, Security Team
Rangemaster, Moderator, TSF Academy

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Pardon the interruption m1000,

Do go ahead and backup all her data, but in the meantime can you tell me if the system works properly in Safe Mode?

Microsoft MVP - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

"It is one life whether we spend it laughing or weeping." "Take the time to laugh--it is the music of the soul."
Old 08-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #11
Registered Member

I forgot to try safe mode. I think Im going back later tonight

thanks
Old 08-21-2007, 02:13 AM   #12
Registered Member

I went over Monday. My intention was to back up data. Then the screen froze.

I opened the tower and changed the data cable.

The computer seemed to work fine and I didnt get any black sceens.

I uninstalled the security software (that had the corrpt file) and re-install.

I noticed a desktop icon called 'datremover' and that had been there this whole time. The corrput file was on the computer before I ever got to it. The ISP will be in touch to tell her how to fix that

Thanks for the help

Mark
Old 08-21-2007, 02:43 AM   #13
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Thx for letting us know. Maybe it was just some dust in the plug, or maybe the IDE cable is damaged. Was it bent in some weird way inside the case ?

How many anti-spyware softwares does your sister have installed ? Too many is not good. She should only need an antivirus and firewall. Adaware can help to clean the tracking cookies monthly, but apart from that anti-spywares are not really needed. Just remember not to click any ad nor open any attachment from a mail when you don't know the sender.

You could run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility on the drive to make sure it's in healthy conditions now. What's the drive brand and model ? Check the sticker that's on the drive itself.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:48 AM   #14
Registered Member

Was it bent in some weird way inside the case ?
- no. The computer is about 18 months old.

How many anti-spyware softwares does your sister have installed?
- Our ISP, offers a security package, anti virus, firewall, anti spyware, etc for $5 a month. Thats what she has.

Im leaving her computer alone. I may be good with computers but she doesnt trust me near hers . . . and I should have stayed away.

Its how it was when she left and I wash my hands of it. Its cursed!!!!

Thank you for the help
Mark
Old 08-21-2007, 03:01 AM   #15
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

lol, ok. Feel free to come back whenever the curse hits you again (let's hope it won't).

You can tell your sister she'll probably be as safe and 5$ a month richer with XP's integrated firewall and some good free antivirus like Avast or AVG if she wants.

Closed Thread