Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

MAC ID Change of Ethernet Adapte

This is a discussion on MAC ID Change of Ethernet Adapte within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hye, I have bought new laptop ACER Aspire S Series with WINDOWS 7 and wanted to change MAC ID of

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hye,

I have bought new laptop ACER Aspire S Series with WINDOWS 7 and wanted to change MAC ID of Ethernet Adapter (Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter ). I have tried a lot of solutions avilable on internet online but no success then I decided to remove Windows 7 and install Windows XP as free utility avilable to change MAC ID with XP. Aftter move to XP everything is working fine and I tried to change the network MAC ID and it successfully change when I checked in Registry but when I ran the command promt then still its showing same MAC/Physical address which I had before so my question is that How I can change the physical address (MAC ID) of Ethernet Adaptr (Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter )? Please help me in this regard which would be really appreciable.

Thanks

Regards

Humayun Raza

Old 04-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

You didn't mention what software you used to change the MAC address? I have had success with the Technitium MAC
The Command Prompt and any browsers must be closed when you change the Address.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
Registered Member

Dear,

Thanks for prompt reply. Yeah I have tried Technitium that but it gives error message

"Failed to change MAC Address. For wireless network connection set the first octet of MAC address as "02" and try again"

If I take start from 02 then it change but that is not my requirement as my desired MAC starts from 00-26-…… Even I have read the forum which shows why this changer taking 2 but that not fulfills my need. So, please let me know any workoround that how I can change MAC of this wireless adpapter?

Thanks

Regards

Humayun Raza
Old 04-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
I have had success with the Technitium MAC
Then try the other 2 programs in the link in the quote.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Registered Member

Dear,

I have used both other utilities SMAC and Gentle Pro MAC but no success. The same question my desired MAC starts from 00 but both cant. How you have changed through Techtinium starting with 00-...etc.

Thanks

Regards

Humayun Raa
Old 04-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Management Team Networking

You do understand that mac address never leaves the lan, right?
So what is your purpose for changing the mac?

normally you change the mac address in the advanced tab of the nic properties. The field labled "locally administered address" is where you would do this
Old 04-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
Registered Member

Dear,

Yeah I understand. BUt I have mentioned in first quote that after move to XP everything is working fine and I tried to change the network MAC ID and it successfully changed when I checked in Registry and that I did manually through network address whih you mentioned NIC properties but when I ran the command promt then still its showing same MAC/Physical address which I had before of Ethernet Adaptr (Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter )so my question is still same that How I can change the physical address (MAC ID) of Ethernet Adaptr (Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter )?

Thanks

Regards

Humayun Mehmood Raza
Old 04-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Registered Member

The Mac is hard coded why do you want to change it?