Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lost data

716 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Rhort 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I didn't have any users set up on my XP. I wanted to stablish my own account to have some privecy from the rest of my falimy, but when i signed a new user, I lost all the files and e-mails from my PC. Please help.

Hab

#2 ·
Files stored locally in the \my documents\ area of the computer can usually only be access when you're logged in as the relevant user. Don't panic, the files are still there, you just can't see them whilst you're logged in as the new user. If you think about it, this is exactly the effect you're looking for, it'll just require a small amount of preparation to get it working right for you.

You could log in with the local Administrator account, which will then allow you access to all the required folders, and transfer them across. The files will currently be in the following folder:

c:\documents and settings\<<OLDUSERNAME>>\My Documents\

where <<OLDUSERNAME>> is the logon name of the 'old' account.

Just transfer everything in there to

c:\documents and settings\<<NEWUSERNAME>>\My Documents\

where <<NEWUSERNAME>> is the logon name of the 'new' account.

You might also check the folder:

c:\documents and settings\<<OLDUSERNAME>>\Desktop\

just in case anything was stored on your old desktop. You can drag and drop those files straight onto your new desktop if you like, or alternatively the:

c:\documents and settings\<<NEWUSERNAME>>\Desktop\

Another alternative is to log back in as your original user, and then load all of your files onto a memory stick, or other removable media, or even create a new folder off the root of C:\ and transfer them across that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.