Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Data?

825 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  kzed 
#1 ·
A few days ago, I went through extensive work translating the contents of various word files (in the process, ridding myself of significant data to concisely organize said files) to OpenOffice. Only days later, I moved the files to default folders belonging to the partition (created when i partiotioned my drive, but i haven't a clue what they are: named with random characters and contain txt files), and was unable to later access them (folder indicated that 0 files are contained within it, which i infer to mean that my files were basically deleted). So I restore my system to the most recent restore point, and the original file where i kept my OpenOffice files is where it used to be, the only problem being that the files arent there - nor do they exist on the hard-drive at all.

Is there any chance I can regain the data or is it irretrievably lost?

#2 ·
System Restore, well, restores the system. I've never seen it restore lost user data. In fact, it has been moreover the CAUSE of lost user data. It is marked 'evil' in my book.

Anyway, from what I gather, you created OpenOffice file(s), copied data into them from the Word documents. Then days later, moved the Word?/OpenOffice? file to another directory/drive, but they are corrupted? Was that before or after restore? Was that on the same partition Windows resides on? What files did you delete?

#3 · (Edited)
Anyway, from what I gather, you created OpenOffice file(s), copied data into them from the Word documents. Then days later, moved the Word?/OpenOffice? file to another directory/drive, but they are corrupted?
Correct.

Was that before or after restore? Was that on the same partition Windows resides on? What files did you delete?
This was before the restore and Windows currently resides on all of my partitions. And I did not delete any files; it just seems that moving the OpenOffice files to that directory made the inaccessible and the data lost.

Edit: The folder I moved to this 'corruptive' directory containing word files has not deleted the files, but access is denied when trying to open the files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.