Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Losing Sound After Windows Update

This is a discussion on Losing Sound After Windows Update within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I lost sound on my Pavilion laptop after a windows update today. I tried following to bring it back: -

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

I lost sound on my Pavilion laptop after a windows update today.

I tried following to bring it back:
- reinstalled river
- reinstalled bios
- did system restore (got the message though system ca not be restored to yesterday's
system restore point)
None of the above worked.

HP tech support is no support. Whenever you call them for something they want you
to wipe your hard drive by reinstalling windows and putting the disk image back.
What an expertise! Everybody can open a "tech support" department like that.

Thanks for help.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:22 PM   #2

Check your sound settings and make sure the volume didn't get turn down/off.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girderman View Post
Check your sound settings and make sure the volume didn't get turn down/off.
I got it checked, looks good, but no sound.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
Happy to support TSF!

My System

How about uninstalling the most recent Windows Updates one-by-one until you find the culprit? You will need to reboot after each uninstallation so may take a few goes.

Alternatively, System Restore?? And i'm not referring to the HP Tech Support method either..i'm referring to the built in XP program
Old 05-04-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to TheMatt

Hi,

The Windows System Restore that Nick mentioned was my first thought. Run this command:
Code:
%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
Run a restore to a day or two before the updates that caused the sound to disappear.

Also, before you do the system restore, check the device manager for any unknown devices or devices with yellow !'s next to them.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:40 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster_uk View Post
How about uninstalling the most recent Windows Updates one-by-one until you find the culprit? You will need to reboot after each uninstallation so may take a few goes.

Alternatively, System Restore?? And i'm not referring to the HP Tech Support method either..i'm referring to the built in XP program
I've already tried the windows restore at accessories/system tools/system restore. I tried five different restore points prior to doing the windows update and for each of them i am getting the message that "your system can not be restored to [date]".

As for uninstalling the updates, windows web update today wanted me to update with 71 "critical" updates. Uninstaling one by one and restarting computer after each of them would take me days.
I was intentionally avoiding this update site. Today was my first visit after buying this laptop.
I think this is going to be my last visit to windows update too.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:46 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatt View Post
Hi,

The Windows System Restore that Nick mentioned was my first thought. Run this command:
Code:
%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
Run a restore to a day or two before the updates that caused the sound to disappear.

Also, before you do the system restore, check the device manager for any unknown devices or devices with yellow !'s next to them.
When I do that commnad the same window pops up as in /accessories/system tools/system restore (I did that part).
Does that command need to be run from the safe mode?

By the way, nothing strange in the device manager.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:34 PM   #8

Quote:
By the way, nothing strange in the device manager.
Did you enable "show hidden devices" ?

I understand the frustration, but updating XP is an absolute essential for Security reasons. As problematic as it may be sometimes, running "naked" on the internet is far riskier.

Under Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices

1. Make sure "Volume" (tab) is not "mute"-ed and volume is all the way up. Make sure Speaker volume is all the way up.

2. Report what your "Default Device" is under the "Audio" tab.

My computer has a second audio manager called "RealTek Sound Manager" and it seems to function as an unnecessary and redundant duplicate of XP's Sound Manager. If it's settings are messed up, the audio is affected. Check & see if your computer has a 3rd party sound manager, and if so run through it's settings and see if something jumps out as messed up.

My guess is that the command needs to be run under an Admin account.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #9
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Are you getting this error?

Quote:
Rthdcpl.exe - Illegal System DLL Relocation

The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\Windows\System32\Hhctrl.ocx occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL.
.......if so follow this link

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f104...es-148753.html
Old 05-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girderman View Post
Did you enable "show hidden devices" ?

I understand the frustration, but updating XP is an absolute essential for Security reasons. As problematic as it may be sometimes, running "naked" on the internet is far riskier.

Under Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices

1. Make sure "Volume" (tab) is not "mute"-ed and volume is all the way up. Make sure Speaker volume is all the way up.

2. Report what your "Default Device" is under the "Audio" tab.

My computer has a second audio manager called "RealTek Sound Manager" and it seems to function as an unnecessary and redundant duplicate of XP's Sound Manager. If it's settings are messed up, the audio is affected. Check & see if your computer has a 3rd party sound manager, and if so run through it's settings and see if something jumps out as messed up.

My guess is that the command needs to be run under an Admin account.
I enabled "show hiddden devices", nothing strange.
Sound is not muted either.
The default (and only one) devices for playback is Conexant HD Audio output.
Did not notice the third party sound manager.

As for running "naked", my second computer is a desktop. I did not visit the windows update with that computer for the last two years. I do however keep my (non-microsoft) Antivirus software and Firewall up to date.
Never got a virus or trojan during that time. Maybe I was lucky but it is a fact. I am not saying other people should not go to windows update, but I made my choice.

Sorry if I was not clear with the system restore.
I have no problem running the command, but windows has problem restoring to the previous dates. Namely, when I run the restore (in normal mode), I chose the date before the update that the restore offered to me, the windows gives message that is restoring the system, the computer restarts, I log in and then I get the message that windows could not restore to the date I picked (this was repeated for 5 different restore points offered by the system restore).
Old 05-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekgirl View Post
Are you getting this error?

.......if so follow this link

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f104...es-148753.html
It is not that error. It is more like a message , please refer above for the details, thanks.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #12
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Quote:
As for running "naked", my second computer is a desktop. I did not visit the windows update with that computer for the last two years. I do however keep my (non-microsoft) Antivirus software and Firewall up to date.
Unless you visit the Windows Update site you will continue to have instablilities with your system, yes sometimes there are "bugs" in the updates, but Microsoft will creates another "fix" for the issue it has created.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
Registered Member

Altough this topic is more than 2 years old, I still have the same problem.
I also use a HP Pavilion laptop (windows vista) and after an update the sound didn't work.
I read this topic through and through and I actually got mad at some replies that only advised me to "check if my volume isn't muted". F.
It would be great, if the author of this topic would share hes/her ideas.
But anyhow, I think that the solution is going to be installing windows 7 64bit (that friends of mine have gotten for me using not the usual channels), so the whole point of this FIRST HELP TOPIC listed when used Google, is quite marginal.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:25 AM   #14
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Please start your own thread....this one will be closed