Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Local Network Connection won't delete

This is a discussion on Local Network Connection won't delete within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've got an HP unit that my friend brought over for help with spyware. It was infested with 87 varieties,

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 04:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

I've got an HP unit that my friend brought over for help with spyware. It was infested with 87 varieties, plus about 11 viruses. OK, got rid of the the bad boys but ran into a problem I've never seen.

He's got a cable connection and had no virus or spyware protection installed.

I connected the box to my local network to back up about 5 gigs of data so I could do a clean re-install from HP's hidden partition. That was the quickest path with so much spyware and several viruses. It took forever but actually worked =8~). That's the good news.

So I connected back to the local network and put all his data back on, that worked fine too. Spent about 2 hours upgrading him all the way through SP2 and no problems.

So, I go to delete the local network connection to my network. Nope, won't let me. OK, so I'll just disable it and make a new Internet connection (direct to broadband since he has no network at home). Nope, won't let me.

OK, I disable the NIC, go into safe mode and try to delete. Nope, not happening. OK, I'll go into the registry under network and drill down to connections and delete it. That worked, but when I went to look at the network connections, my friend was still there.

Now, I'm starting to get a little edgy since we've been playing with the box for about 5 hours, the last two fooling with this stupid local area connection.

I've tried everything I know short of a nuclear bomb to get rid of this connection and it won't go away. And it won't let me make a new staight to the broadband modem connection either.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm stumped.

Old 10-25-2004, 05:57 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Try resetting the stack: Reset XP TCP/IP Stack

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Old 10-27-2004, 09:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

Well, that's a neat trick and worked according to instructions but my stinking connection will still not go away or let me change it.

I did notice that the owner was System ( when you use the Wizard I guess the system user takes credit). I don't think that's an issue but maybe it is a
factor.

I've searched my little fingers off in the MS Knowledge database with no luck in finding any solution. Normally I'd just blow the installation away and do a clean install but this my neighbor's box and it's got the install on a hidden partition (HP). So I wouldn't be able to get back the basic software that came on the box.

I don't know why these manufacturer's can't provide a stinking CD, it can't cost much.

Any other ideas?