Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loading PBR for descriptor 2... done "A disk read error occurred"

12K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
I left my Dell Inspirion 600 laptop on over night and it died. Once I charged it and turned it back on the next day, I received this error upon starting windows...

Loading PBR for descriptior 2...done.

A disk read error occurred
Press CTRL+ALT+Del to restart

Is it possible my hard drive just crashed?? :upset:

*Currently using my Dell Desktop PC to research info on this error

Thanks

#2 ·
hi, do you have a diagnostics partition on your inspiron, on mine I press F12 as the computer boots. If you do, run the extended test on the hard drive. At this point I should ask if your important files/pics etc are backed up as any test on a failing hard drive is intensive. You ask if your hard drive "just crashed", have you tried restarting to see if you have access.

#4 ·
ok, even though you got a "pass" I would recommend attaching the disk to your desktop, perhaps by a USB caddy (check first whether your disk is sata or ide and use appropriate caddy), if you can then access the disk you could save your important docs. You are sure you didn't leave a floppy in the drive (if you have one)? Could be the HD controller, or the lead that attaches the drive to the motherboard so try a different lead. Once you have your docs safe run all the tests in diagnostics.

#5 ·
Ok, I have been having the same problem with a pretty new Dell inspiron 10mini. Its a netbook with no CD drive or floppy, only usb ports. I really want to fix this myself but after running all the diagnostics after pushing f12 at boot up, I cannot find what is causing this.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
mvital003 it's considered rude to jump on somebody Else's thread and it gets too confusing to answer your questions. it's best to start your own thread. That said.
To backup your data, pull the HDD out of the computer and attach it to a USB Adapter And plug that into a working computer. Here you backup your files to the working computer. Now put the drive back in the non-working computer and when booting up, hit the F11 Key. this will take you to the Restore Partition (if the HDD is working) and you can restore your computer to Factory Defaults. If this fails, you may need to run a HDD diagnostic tool from a Flash Drive to test the integrity of the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.