Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Laptop screen dims when A/C unplugged

This is a discussion on Laptop screen dims when A/C unplugged within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am looking for a way to stop my laptop screen from dimming when running on battery. I tried changing

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am looking for a way to stop my laptop screen from dimming when running on battery. I tried changing the power profile but it didn't make a difference. I don't care about battery life and want to be able to read my screen easily whether the laptop is plugged in or not. This did not used to occur. I suspect an update was installed several months ago that changed this behavior. Any ideas?

Old 08-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #2

It's normal. The purpose is to save battery power (by dimming the screen) when you are running on battery.

There will either be a setting in the Power Settings in Windows to adjust this feature (you can set the brightness level to whatever you want when you are in either battery or AC power), or you might have to go into the BIOS and adjust the setting there.