Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Keyboard/Mouse not working in OS

This is a discussion on Keyboard/Mouse not working in OS within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, While trying to correct a CD/DVDRW drive fault, I have deleted Upper/lower filters in the registry editor which means

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

While trying to correct a CD/DVDRW drive fault, I have deleted Upper/lower filters in the registry editor which means now there is absolutely no response from the keyboard/mouse. Because of this I cant obviously perform a system restore and I have repeatedly tried restoring to a good configuration point with no results.
My OS is Windows XP home edition and the computer itself is an Acer Aspire T120E.
Any help is greatly appreciated as I have a 3D building model which I have spent a fortnight creating which is due soon for a college project and I cant access it! oops! lol

Old 02-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
Enthusiast

Oops! - sounds like you deleted the wrong filter references!

All I can suggest you try now is a "Repair Install" using the Windows XP CD (borrow one if you don't have one, but it must be the same version with same service pack):

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

Old 02-12-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Before you do that, boot off of the XP CD and get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /R and hit enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any errors. If that fails, do a Repair Install.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
Registered Member

Will rebooting off the XP CD result in any saved document losses?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team

Hi

Have you tried restarting the PC. Start tapping F8 until you get the Windows XP Advanced Options menu. Then at the advanced Startup menu choose Last Known Good Configuration.

If this doesn't Work, on the same menu have you tried Safe Mode?

If your mouse and keyboard are USB then try swapping the ports.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Check Disk just checks the integrity of the files and fixes problems, removing orphaned Windows files but not changing any of your programs

Closed Thread