Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Keyboard is typing consecutive numbers...!

This is a discussion on Keyboard is typing consecutive numbers...! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Preface: I'm a computer tech of 13 years, and I've not seen a problem like this, nor can I figure

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

Preface: I'm a computer tech of 13 years, and I've not seen a problem like this, nor can I figure out a way to successfully search for a similar problem online, so I figured I'd try here.

I've got a computer on our network that is displaying a unique symptom. When you type anything, it appears as a series of incrementing numbers from 0 to 9 and repeating. This happens when pressing any letter or number keys. The only key that appears to work is the tilde/backapostrophe (~`). Also interesting is that pressing Shift + any key gives you the symbol appropriate for pressing shift and that number.

So, for example, if I were to type:

This is a test! >> !234 56 7 8901@
AaaaaaAAA >> $56789)!@
qwertyuiopasdfghjkl; >> 34567890123456789012

Etc...

The computer had a malware infection prior to this, including the WinAntivirus 2010 infection, as well as a rootkit infection that Gmer's tool located and "successfully" removed.

I don't think this is being caused by an infection, as MBAM and SAS are both showing the system as completely clean. I've tried a PS2 and USB keyboard, both which give the same result. Rkill doesn't show anything running in the background that shouldn't be, and for all other purposes, the computer is working perfectly.

Any ideas here?

Old 05-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I do not have a fix at this moment for this one but can recommend a work around.

Open Start>Run type osk.exe to access the on screen keyboard.

Maybe someone else around here has experienced this issue and will have a fix but for now if this PC is really needed to function this is one work around.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

Well... I can't exactly type osk.exe to run it ;) ... but the OSK is what we've been using to get things done on the system, slowly. Fortunately it's available as a link through the start menu and wasn't removed from the image.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Oh ya sorry about that but yes it is accessible from the start menu.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
- Microsoft Support

What happens when you connect via remote desktop or VNC? Do you get the same issue with the characters?

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Registered Member

This computer isn't set up for remote connections (aka I haven't tried it yet), but I'll install Team Viewer on it and see what happens in a minute.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
Management Team Networking

set to standard 101 keyboard in the control panel?
any keyboard settings in the bios?
Old 05-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
Registered Member

Via Team Viewer, I'm having the same problem -- keys I type are showing up as numerics, in increasing order.

No apparent keyboard settings in the BIOS, it's pretty stripped down (Dell Dimension 4600). Standard 101-key keyboard, US language in control panel.

Booting to a BartPE disc or a Linux distro, the keyboard works perfect. This is definitely a software issue.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Have you tried booting from the original WinXP CD and done a 'restore' (2nd occurrence of 'restore')? That will save your files and may overwrite a left over malware attachment. Disconnect from the network first.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #10
Registered Member

Yes. The letters work fine during the reinstall (such as when you're typing in the product key), but once we're back into Windows, we're in the exact same situation.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #11
- Microsoft Support

Same behavior in safe mode?

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
- Microsoft Support

Does the user have any software installed that could be used as an anti-keylogger?

Old 05-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #13
Hardware Tech Team

My System

I'm of a mind to recommend you turn to the Spyware/Malware experts here on the forum and see if they can help you because I've got no clue what this could be...other then an infection of some kind that wasn't completely cleaned out.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
Registered Member

Same behavior in safe mode. If I boot to a Windows disc and drop to the recovery console, it works fine. It's definitely something in Windows, but the fact that it still does it in safe mode is what really throws me.

If someone wants to transfer this thread over to Malware they can, but as I said, malware scans are showing it's clean. I even pulled the drive and hooked it up to another system and ran a scan with Malwarebytes, Gmer's rootkit finder, and SuperAntiSpyware, and all of them show completely clean. I've manually deleted all temporary files from a DOS prompt in Safe Mode (windows\temp as well as the user profile \temporary internet files folders).
Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #15
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Well, the problem is that brilliant software engineers work for the dark side and are always coming up with unique and amazingly capable handfuls of code that can be at best, difficult for even the best AV or AM software writers to find every little piece of virus, spyware, or malware hidden on the computer.

Every once in a while, I'll bump into something like you're describing and usually, I'll wipe the HDD clean and do a complete reinstall of the OS and software. That's the only way to be sure.

Meanwhile, I'll ask a moderator to look at your thread, but I suspect they'll want you to start a new one rather then move it.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #16
Registered Member

Hey Z-X,

I had (I repeat had) the same problem and just soved it a few moments ago... Your posts and others helped me slueth this out. THANKS!!!

I hope this will help you.

To begin, typing anything with this problem is a major-beeeeyotch. Mouse to your
START
RUN
and then in the RUN box Cut and Paste from anywhere you can these three letters: osk (for the on-screen-keyboard).
Now you can type... Laborious but effective.

I found a few posts like the following ( Keyboard only typing numbers in sequence, num lock OFF - Page 3 - Windows 7 Forums) mentioning "GID Desktop Application", a keylogging software, causing the problem. If you have it on your system, you may remove it. I found these steps on a Lenovo forum:
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-U-series-Laptops/Typed-letters-appearing-as-increasing-numbers-0-1-2-3-4-5/ta-p/301034

This issue is caused by a software called GuardedID software, please follow the steps provided below to prevent the application from Starting up or you may remove the application if you want to.

Prevent GID application from Starting Up

Click Start
  1. Click Run
  2. Type "msconfig"
  3. Select "Startup" tab
  4. Unchecked GID desktop application
  5. Press OK then reboot laptop.
or

Uninstall GID Application from Windows
  1. Click Start
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Click Add / Remove Programs
  4. Search for "GID" / "GID Desktop Application
  5. Select the item and select uninstall
  6. Reboot when uninstallaion is done.
This, however did not solve my issue. I do not have GID... I took a guess at the Norton AV Suite I just installed through Comcast. I installed the software about a week ago and this issue showed up yesterday (odd???). There is an accompanying software "Constant Guard", which loads along with NAV, but does not appear to symbiotic (I hope).

I got rid of it via "Add Remove"... Problem solved!

If this works for you, please pray (chant, chicken dance, etc.) that the Detroit Tigers get some relief pitching. Or that we start plunking holes in the ground/ocean to get oil... man, petrol is waaay too expensive.

MWK
Old 05-20-2011, 06:10 AM   #17
CCT
Helper

For what it's worth, typing of numbers versus letters on a laptop had some responses here -> Keyboard is typing numbers instead of letters? (NUM LOCK IS NOT ON)

Of course, if that isn't a laptop, then ........
Old 06-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #18
Registered Member

Thanks 10 thumbs,
Spent days researching this problem, Removing Guarded ID did the trick.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #19
Registered Member

Glad it worked out!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #20
Registered Member

I was just having the same problem. Removing Norton's Constant Guard fixed the problem. Thanks!