Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Keep getting the hardware connect/disconnect sound

This is a discussion on Keep getting the hardware connect/disconnect sound within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Been running my PC pretty hard this past week running photoshop - large and multiple files. Not sure if that

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

Been running my PC pretty hard this past week running photoshop - large and multiple files. Not sure if that has anything to do with the current situation, though.

Dell XPS710
Running Win XP SP3 (32-bit)
4GB RAM

Was working in photoshop again tonight and all of a sudden, I get the windows sound that you get when you connect new hardware and then disconnect hardware. I'll be moving my mouse and it will just stall and then the sounds come. In the span of 30-45 min while working, it has happened about 2 dozen times and I just had to stop as it was happening too frequently.

I only have a few things connected (via USB) to the PC - Mouse/keyboard/printer/external HDD/Bluetooth dongle adapter. I've unplugged all except for the mouse and the keyboard trying to diagnose it and it still happens.
Internally, I've got 3 hard drives installed - Primary HDD and 2 data HDDs (All SATA)

Any ideas on how I can find out what is causing this? Not sure how to diagnose the problem.

BTW, I recently just reinstalled the entire OS from scratch 3 weeks ago. I've been running the same configuration since I got the machine a couple years ago and this is the first time I'm getting the rapid connect/disconnect sounds.