Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Keep getting error message saying "There is no disk in the drive"

This is a discussion on Keep getting error message saying "There is no disk in the drive" within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My computer persistantly displays this error message saying "Windows - No Disk: There is no disk in the drive. Please

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 05:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

My computer persistantly displays this error message saying "Windows - No Disk: There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive." When I look at the My Computer screen It shows my floppy drive, my C drive, the unknown Removable Disk Drive (D:), CD drives E and F, my other internal drive (G:), my external (H:), the second partition on my internal drive (I:), a DVD drive (J:), and then finally the second unknown Removable Disk Drive (K:). I have no idea what these Removable disk drives are or how they got here but I think they are causing the problem. Windows thinks there is a disk mounted but there isnt. If it helps the applications I was using at the time of when the incident first began was Azureus, my DVD drive, Divx Player, iTunes, and maybe some more random stuff. This error message pops up whenever I open multiple programs such as iTunes and Azureus. I could REALLY use some help with this as it is starting to become very annoying!

Old 07-20-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

right click on my computer then manage. click on disk management and see what it specifies K:\ as. you can right click and goto properties to get a list of drives attached and maybe it'll give you more specs on this removable drive.

is is possible you installed some software from a removable disk (like a usb key) and the software you are running is looking for the source media? it's possible this new drive has nothing to do with the windows error

"it takes two to lie, one to lie and one to listen"
Homer
Old 07-20-2006, 10:03 AM   #3
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Hi..

do you have a printer or digital camera connected to the pc as these can sometimes be displayed as a Removable Disk in My Computer?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:07 AM   #4
Registered Member

It says it is a generic USB drive. A removable drive with no media. I tried to eject it and I cant do that either. I have no printers or anything installed. I just want to unmount these 2 drives and get rid of them! Any way to do that?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

Ok so I figured out how to get rid of them. I right clicked on them in the disk management screen and selected disable. One of them was my media card reader though and now it doesnt work! How do I reinstall or get that reader back?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:48 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

go back to the disk manager and right click on the drive you want to assign a drive letter to. click on 'change drive letter and path' and then hit 'add'. pick a letter and see does it re-appear in windows explorer

"it takes two to lie, one to lie and one to listen"
Homer
Old 07-21-2006, 05:50 AM   #7
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Did you pc come with any discs? Or do you know if you have a folder anywhere which stores pre-installed drivers?

Also, you can try re-enabling the item in disk manager and then uninstalling it via device manager...reboot and it should install automatically and be back to normal :)