Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

JPG is not a valid win32 application...how can I fix this?

This is a discussion on JPG is not a valid win32 application...how can I fix this? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all I can't open my photos or pictures anymore because it keeps saying 'JPG is not a valid win32

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello all

I can't open my photos or pictures anymore because it keeps saying 'JPG is not a valid win32 application'. It never used to do this so I'm sure I've done something wrong. I have tried for ages to fix this on my own but I can't. Please can you help me?
Thanks in advance
Gtops

Old 11-12-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
Registered Member

a *.jpg file opening gives a not vallid file error

solution to this is that the link in windows informs windows to open *.jpg with a program that is not correct win32 openable .

2 possible common causes.
the link is wrong
the file is wrong
for instance if you have extentions hidden , something could be displayed as namehere.jpg
what you wouldnt see is namehere.jpg.scr
and that would be a virus , but mostly people are warned enough about those nasty things so they have virus protection , and if that would have been the case your virus scanner would of had a busy day :)

so picking the first possible cause , the wrong link
easy enough you can right click on the jpg file and you can then select " open with " rollout menu to the side then the option open with if im correct wich causes a dialogbox to pop up informing you of a list of all the software programs currenly active installed in windows.

jpg file i would prefer to open with something that always works and normally present in windows either windows imaging ( wich is in the list ) or MS paint . both should work .
later on when you have the hang of this you can obviously change it to photoshop ect ect.

hope this helps .

Old 12-31-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hey, just happened to find this post... haven't been able to right-click on photos on my computer and have them open with Photoshop forever, then I saw this post and tried opening in another program THEN Photoshop.... now it works.
thanks!
Old 07-25-2009, 03:50 AM   #4
Registered Member

Helmtar-many thanks for solving my photo problems