Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Internet works briefly, then stops.

This is a discussion on Internet works briefly, then stops. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, problem is as follows: On pc bootup, i am able to access the internet for a seconds when it

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, problem is as follows:

On pc bootup, i am able to access the internet for a seconds when it then stops working. I know it is not my ISP b/c i can get on xbox live just fine. I cannot update my spybot s&d, avg anti virus, or my adaware to run an up to date check on my computer.

specs:
Win XP
p4 2.8
1 gb ram
Cable internet
not sure what else you will need.. but if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!

~Eric

Old 08-05-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
Mentor Emeritus, Microsoft Support

OS: Windows XP Home & Pro. Sp3 / both compleatly updated

My System

Send a message via MSN to mike2020learnin

have you tried the network diagnostic tool ? this can be activated when you launch IE explorer

when it shows that it cannot connect there should be a entry that shows diagnose network connections

also go to the control pannel open network connetions
here you should only have one connection to wich should be your (lan ) the others you can disable them

while you are here do a repair of your connection by right clicking the icon then repair /or in properties you will find the repair

then reboot

Old 08-05-2007, 10:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you Mike, i will try that as soon as i get home. Appreciate the advise and i hope it works!!
Old 08-07-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
Registered Member

Ok, that didnt work.. ive since downloaded and reinstalled newer versions of adaware and spybot through a different computer to no avail.. it still will not connect to the internet.. i also acquired a virus definition for AVG but that still wont work either. It found absolutely no threats.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
Mentor Emeritus, Microsoft Support

OS: Windows XP Home & Pro. Sp3 / both compleatly updated

My System

Send a message via MSN to mike2020learnin

check in the device manager and see if you have any red or yellow quotation marks by any of your drivers

also have you ever run a sfc

start

run

type in (cmd (enter

type in(sfc (enter

type in( sfc /scannow ( notice the space between sfc and /

have your Windows Xp instalation cd ready / if you do not have one see if you can barrow one from a friend or colleage

have you done any driver updates and if so did you update your eithernet driver ?
sfc
Old 08-08-2007, 07:23 AM   #6
Folding Along

Send a message via AIM to gistek Send a message via Skype™ to gistek

have you tried rebooting the cable modem and router?

if it's a wireless router, have you tried moving the router closer to the pc?

also make sure there aren't any interferences - like a metal tray table or something that uses electricity - between the router and the pc. (I had my router near some household wiring and the EM field blocked the signal whenever that circuit was being used)

if it's a wired connection, wiggle the cable and see if the connection pops in and out (cables do wear out, usually near the ends)

I am not a computer professional, My advice comes from personal experience and/or friends who are computer professionals. Interested in Search and Rescue? Check out the Civil Air Patrol. Come Fold with us. TSF Folding@Home Team
Closed Thread