Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

internet options will not open, just flashes...

This is a discussion on internet options will not open, just flashes... within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I can not get internet options to open in either my control panel or in tools. And the heading "internet

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I can not get internet options to open in either my control panel or in tools. And the heading "internet options" below the font in control panel is gone. h e l p!

Old 06-15-2007, 05:31 PM   #2

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrif View Post
I can not get internet options to open in either my control panel or in tools. And the heading "internet options" below the font in control panel is gone. h e l p!
If you have Spybot.

Unblocking Internet Options In Spybot Search & Destroy

If Spybot is blocking Internet Options, you'll need to temporarily turn off Spybot's protection against abuse of the the "Internet Options" control panel. Just follow these steps:
1. Click on the "Start" menu

2. Click on "All Programs"

3. Click on the "Spybot - Search & Destroy" program group

4. Click on the "Spybot - Search & Destroy" program

5. When the main Spybot window appears, click the "Immunize" button in the toolbar at left

6. At the bottom of the window, you may see checkboxes named "lock IE start page setting against user changes" and "lock IE control panel against opening from within IE." If they are checked, uncheck them. This will enable you to use Internet Options.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
Registered Member

Well, I tried the spybot angle. No check boxes named "lock IE" at all in Spybot, search and destroy. And no internet options from "safe mode" either- What the heck is going on here?! H E L P!
Old 06-23-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
Registered Member

I guess the problem is beyond Spybot, System 32 file, Registry...., so I must just live with the problem for now.