Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internet Explorer Slow to open Home Page

18K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Sarge 
#1 ·
My computer is connected to a router, from there to an ADSL modem, and from there to the DSL line.

Everytime I open a new Internet Explorer (v.6.0) window, the lower-left corner has a message "detecting proxy settings" (or similar) and it hangs there for what seems an unecessarily long time (@ 5-10 seconds).

Is this normal behavior ? I would think that the "proxy settings" would have been detected and saved, so this delay shouldn't be happening.

Nothing has changed in this system for several months. I don't remember it happening before, but now that I have noticed it, it is becoming rather annoying.

Is there something that can be done ?

Thanks in advance,

George

#3 ·
Still a Problem

I ran all the software you recommended and I still have the problem. The router is a D-Link 614+, cross-multiplexed to an AH-114 Diheterodyne Enhancer.

Does Internet Explorer "detect" the "proxy settings" each and every time a window is opened ? If so, this may be normal.

Thanks in advance,

George

#5 ·
Still Having a Problem

Despite having run all the anti-spyware I can find, Interent Explorer still seems to take a long time loading the first (home) page.

Does Internet Explorer "detect" the "proxy settings" each and every time a window is opened ? If so, this may be normal.
The AH-144 was recently declassified, but it's still not a good idea to talk about it openly.

#6 ·
Bump

Everytime I open a new Internet Explorer (v.6.0) window, the lower-left corner has a message "detecting proxy settings" (or similar) and it hangs there for what seems an unecessarily long time (@ 5-10 seconds).

Is this normal behavior ? I would think that the "proxy settings" would have been detected and saved, so this delay shouldn't be happening.

Nothing has changed in this system for several months. I don't remember it happening before, but now that I have noticed it, it is becoming rather annoying.

#8 · (Edited)
Bypass the router

Yes, I can bypass the router and connect directly via the ADSL modem. However I am unsure of what you mean by "changing the port".

As I understand "ports" they are all "openable", but I have both WinXP's and the router's firewall (or NAT table, if you will) keeping the ports secure.

Is this what you mean whodat, or do you mean the LAN connection on the back of the router ? (Which I could also change.)

My "gut" tells me this is an IE problem, but I could be wrong. Dunno. But I'll try anything to investigate.

Also, I've been paying attention to when this does and doesn't happen.

It only happens once per each logon. If I logoff or restart, I have to wait for the "detecting proxy settings". Otherwise the responsiveness of Internet Explorer appears normal.

#10 ·
Problem Solved

It only happens once per each logon. If I logoff or restart, I have to wait for the "detecting proxy settings". Otherwise the responsiveness of Internet Explorer appears normal.
First I need to correct my earlier (the second one, pasted above) statement regarding how often (when) the delay of "detecting proxy settings" happens. It didn't happen only once per logon session; rather it was happening every single time a new IE browser was opened, as I stated the first time.

http://www.d-a-l.com/help/showthread.php?t=3375

The link above goes to a forum where another User had a similar problem.

My simple solution was to navigate to (Internet Explorer)>Tools>Internet Options>Connections>LAN Settings and uncheck the box: "Automatically Detect Settings". It may have been Spyware that checked this box, as I don't think I did, nor did I have this problem before a recent malware infestation.

One way to interpret the "Automatically Detect..." label is:

"Automatically Detect Settings Every Single Time a New Browser is Opened"

Works for me....

Anyways, thanks for trying to help. It was a minor issue, but I bet it's a pretty common one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.