Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

insufficient permissions

This is a discussion on insufficient permissions within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am running Windows XP - Home Edition - Google Chrome Browser - I am an Administrator - It is

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am running Windows XP - Home Edition - Google Chrome Browser - I am an Administrator - It is a home use machine - I am the sole user.
I download programs such as IE 8 and Adobe reader 8. They download O.K. but when it comes to "run", the message comes up - "insufficient permissions". I have in the recent past downloaded and run a few programs with no trouble. I probably made some stupid inadvertent mistake, but I don't know what. I am a novice so I would please ask for step-by-step guidance to rectify this problem. I suppose I could reload Windows XP BUT I do not have a disc, and I am a pensioner who lives in a mission which is pretty isolated. If anyone has a spare Window XP disc, I would be happy to get it. Hoping you will be the bringer of good tidings. Thanks - Ken Miles

Old 07-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF please do not make more than one thread on the same issue it leads to confusion thank you for understanding.
please try using system restore to a time when the computer worked with out issue
How to restore Windows XP to a previous state

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Folder Permissions Problem - Cannot force new inherited permissions
I recently put a new hard drive in my HP dv7 laptop to increase the onboard storage. Before changing out the existing hard drive, I backed up all my personal files on an external hard drive. One of the folders though for some reason appears to have "randomly" restricted the permissions of an...
Aygerinos Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support 0 01-10-2012 10:23 AM
Strange file permissions and ownership behavior
Hi, I'm fairly new to the linux world and am a bit confused with my below issue, I have been searching for an answer but cant seem to find what I need, so hope someone here may be able to help. Have a strange issue with file ownership/permissions. When putting files in \\linux\folder\folder...
xiztrn Linux Support 1 12-21-2011 12:06 PM
[SOLVED] Help needed
My internet gets disconnected and my taskbar will turn out just like the one in older windows versions and my audio drivers shows some problem.. Recently I had this issue and did the steps as per TSF suggested..Then my PC worked fine,But now iam having this issue again.This time iam able to...
radnus Resolved HJT Threads 25 08-12-2011 03:58 AM
Permissions, permissions, permissions!
Windows 7 Permissions are out of control! I cannot delete a folder that I created on MY desktop, because I need PERMISSIONS... Silly thing. I gave this account administrator privileges... Also, to be sure, I got properties on the folder and made this account the owner. Still can't delete it....
uRabbit Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support 24 05-06-2011 06:38 PM
Permissions reverting to "inherited permissions"
Hi folks: Our fileserver is running Server 2008R2. I'm having something weird happen with permissions. I will go into a folder (2 levels deep from the root) that is inheriting permissions. There is a specific file that I want 'users' to be able to view, but not edit. I go into security,...
SuprNova04 Windows Servers 3 02-25-2011 10:36 AM