Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Installed XP pro, getting error...HELP!!

This is a discussion on Installed XP pro, getting error...HELP!! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I installed windows XP pro on my Dell Dimension E310, and everything went fine. I had to download the drivers

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

Evil

I installed windows XP pro on my Dell Dimension E310, and everything went fine. I had to download the drivers for the Ethernet card, and the audio card, both from the Dell website. The internet works fine and the sound works as well, but everytime I log on to the computer I get an error message that reads "idt audio system tray application has encountered a problem and needs to close"

After this, I hit, "send error report" but it continues to happen [B]EVERYTIME I login to the computer. Any ideas on how to get rid of this. I have found no other issues except this error message. Thanks!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I'd start by uninstalling the sound card driver > restart> and reinstall them

Old 09-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
Registered Member

Did reinstalling the sound card work. We imaged several machines and are having the problem on these machines.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:56 AM   #4
Registered Member

I re-installed the driver. Did not change anything. Again, the sound works fine but, i am still getting error. The driver that i am using is, "Sigmatel Driver, Stac 92XX C-Major HD audio, the version is 5.10.0.4823.A05, that i downloaded off the dell.com site. This is the only driver option i have for my system. If it helps at all, i am using a Dell Dimension E310. I uninstalled that last night and re-installed it, and the problem is still there, yet, as i said, the sound still works. Someone has suggested that i go to softpedia.com and get a driver there. The driver that is posted on that website to download is Sigmatel Stac 92XX, but the version is 5.10.0.5515. I am assuming that, that is a more recent, more updated driver??? Any thoughts???
Old 09-19-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

http://support.dell.com/support/down...&fileid=195627
Old 03-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
Registered Member

That driver does not work. I've run into this prob on a few Dells (stupid Dell!). Open msconfig, and under the Services tab, disable "Audio Service" from IDT, Inc. Under the Startup tab disable "sttray".

Everything should be hunky dory now, and sound is undiminished. The final step is to never buy another Dell for as long as you live.