Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Incredibly Slow Computer - Help!

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  CCT 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I have a (old) Samsung X20 1.6 GHz. 2 GB Ram. Running XP Professional SP3

I know it is by far not a quick computer but I have had problems recently with it becoming locked up and very slow. It does not crash but becomes very hot.

The main issue is CPU usage is taken up to 100% for extended periods and sometimes the RAM useage to over 1 GB. The main use is from BitDefender – vsserv.exe. But sometimes it is also normal programs such as iexplorer, msnmessenger, bittorrent etc I’d say about 70% is the BitDefender.

I originally had Bitdefender Total security 2008. After the first time having this issue I received “help” from their support people. They gave me the upgrade to 2010 and the same problem came back. They then suggested that I remove all the other security software I had running. This was software provided by my bank for online banking. This was indeed removed and no problems for a week or so. Then back to having problems again! Frustrated I uninstalled BitDefender and ran the computer without any protection. Realizing this was a little unwise I reinstalled it again to get a very slow computer!
I have taken the advice from the ‘Is your PC running slow...?’ forum. I have run disk cleaners, registry cleaners, anti malware, anti spywear, spybot, startlite and full up to date virus checks.

I really do not want to reformat the computer again… I have many things set up just how I like them!!

So… Any advice greatly appreciated. Please be basic with me I’m a little slow too!

Regards, Benson

See less See more
#2 ·
have you started up in safe mode, to see whether the pc behaves properly or does exactly the same thing? Could you also say what registry cleaners you have been using.

Another thing to try is to click on the windows key, click on run, type msconfig and go to the start up tab. See if there is anything you do not need to start with xp and untick the item - it may be that something is conflicting with bit defender. You say that you removed your online banking software and then the pc was ok for a week or so, then problems again: had you reinstalled your online banking software?

Please post back after trying safe mode: there seem to be a lot of people having had this issue with vsserv.exe so hopefully there will be a fix!

#6 ·
Just a word of advice,you mentioned that you access online banking?

you also mentioned that you use torrent (bittorrent),torrent sites will always install malware on your pc no matter how good your antivirus is,regards your pc running slow ,this could be a multible issue of things,pcs are like cars and they need a little service every now and again and espically that yours is getting on now,i would start by d/l this program and scan your pc with it ,lots of things can clutter your system ,try this first

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

#7 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I will try a few things and get back to you.

I also have to mention that this install is only about 3 months old. That is the confusion! - I formatted and cleaned the HD and reinstalled XP again.

@ desolator144 - Yes I am! It has always been a pain in the @ss. I think that the old spec of the computer does not help.

@ justpassingby - I've been through the list and the only thing I have not done is defragging. I'll give that a try and see if it helps

@ brobarapas - Thanks for the tip. I'm running that now. I am a little worried about the use of my online banking now!

Great advice thanks!

#10 · (Edited)
hi Benson, you have certainly tried everything to try and solve this. I did wonder originally if there was a conflict between that program and something else on your pc, but there are a lot of people on their forum with the same issues. There comes a point when you have to wonder if a program is worth it, and I'm coming to the same conclusion as desolator - though I have to admit I have never used the program. I take it it's a paid-for program, not free. In which case presumably you would lose the money you paid. They (Bit Defender forum) advised someone else (some months ago) to put other programs that were having problems in the "exclusions" section (in your case that would be for example msn) but then admitted that those programs would then not warn of any problems. At this stage I'm out of ideas, and wonder if other responders can offer any further advice.

(edited to make a sentence more clear)

#11 ·
Yes the BitDefender was a paid for program. I think that I will give it a week to find some more solutions if nothing can help I'll be cleaning it all off and starting again minus the BitDefender.

I don't know if this is part of the problem or an additional one - I have just tried to update MSN Messenger and when I go to install it says:

"... wlsetup-web.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

Hmmm... Maybe less than a week!

#13 ·
ha ha - Yeah realised this after I read a few forum posts! I think it is the new version for Windows 7.

BitDefender still have not got back to me and it's looking like I am going to be re-formatting and buying a new anti-virus. Any recommendation for an older system? And any tips on the reformatting.

Thanks

#15 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.