Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Import User account settings

This is a discussion on Import User account settings within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have no extra user accounts set up. When I start Windows XP it does not ask me to click

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have no extra user accounts set up. When I start Windows XP it does not ask me to click on a user name. Apparently I've been using the "built in" administrator account on this machine.

And in so doing, I've changed settings, loaded software, etc.

If I do decide to set up a user name for myself (or others) how can I "import all the settings from the "built in" admin account into the new user name?

Thanks

Old 04-21-2009, 03:20 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hi PeteL.

Under Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

Nice little tool supplied by XP for such occasion, let us know how you get on.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:27 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoley View Post
Hi PeteL.

Under Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

Nice little tool supplied by XP for such occasion, let us know how you get on.
Thanks for your quick reply...

That seems to only do it partially.

It does not transfer my desktop icons, does not keep my gmail login username and password, and that's as far as I explored.

The Transfer tool includes two option, Settings only and Files and Settings.

Obviously I don't want to transfer all the files - it would take forever and probably mean I'd need to use an external hard drive.

Is there some way to do this at hard drive level, rather than using a wizard?

All the settings and so on for my "built in" administrator account must be stored in one place... is there not a way I can just copy them into a new user account?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
Registered Member

Yes there is. If you right click my computer, select properties, advanced tab, the select user profiles, from there you can copy user profiles that are not currently being used. So I would, create a new user with admin rights, then another for you, sign on as you, then as new user with admin rights, go to user profiles copy to your new user bish bash bosh all your settings and things within that profile are copied over.

Let me know how you get on.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

Nope... In that window: my computer/properties/advanced/user profiles the extra accounts are there, but when I click on one, or any of them, to change or copy the buttons to do that are "greyed out".
Old 04-23-2009, 04:53 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

Hello PeterL

Here are detailed instructions how to copy from one profile to a new one

You must also transfer all your email settings to the new Account . There is a link on the page how to do that too.

Here is another tutorial on how to back up your email for Outlook and Outlook Express

http://www.sitedeveloper.ws/tutorials/outlook.htm

Old 04-23-2009, 05:08 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunedin View Post
Hello PeterL

Here are detailed instructions how to copy from one profile to a new one

You must also transfer all your email settings to the new Account . There is a link on the page how to do that too.

Here is another tutorial on how to back up your email for Outlook and Outlook Express

http://www.sitedeveloper.ws/tutorials/outlook.htm

Thanks very much.. I'll go and do that now.

Because I use gmail for all my email, I assume the tutorials for Outlook, etc are unnecessary.

Thanks again
Old 04-23-2009, 05:15 AM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

You are very welcome.

Yes, the tutorials for email are unnecessary

Old 04-23-2009, 07:07 AM   #9
Registered Member

Ok, that worked pretty well. It didn't copy my desktop background and it didn't duplicate the position of all my icons, but that's no big deal. I also had to re-install a couple of programs, but over all it seems to work ok.

Now, next question...

Referring to the document detailed above can I delete unused profiles by simply deleting the folders? If I delete them in the Control Panel/User Accounts tool, it may delete them from use, but there are still files there. Similarly, if I use the tool under My Computer/Properties/Advanced/user/Settings the users are still there, although shown as "unknown user".
The "Delete" button is "greyed out" not allowing me to delete them there.

Can I delete the folders, and contents, that were created when these now-unused users were created?

Thanks
Old 04-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

Yes, you can delete all unneeded Accounts/folders once you are happy with the setup.

Quote:
Similarly, if I use the tool under My Computer/Properties/Advanced/user/Settings the users are still there, although shown as "unknown user".
That`s the way to do it. It sounds like you don`t have permission. Are you using an Administrator Account to do it?
Log into the Main Administrator Account again and see if you can do it. Otherwise you might need to take ownership of these Accounts first.

Make sure everything is working properly before deleting all the original files.....maybe give it a day or two.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunedin View Post
Yes, you can delete all unneeded Accounts/folders once you are happy with the setup.

That`s the way to do it. It sounds like you don`t have permission. Are you using an Administrator Account to do it?
Log into the Main Administrator Account again and see if you can do it. Otherwise you might need to take ownership of these Accounts first.

Make sure everything is working properly before deleting all the original files.....maybe give it a day or two.

Not sure what you mean by "take ownership".. I did try to delete them using both my username "Peter" which has Administrator Privileges and using the default admin user... neither one would let me delete from that tool.

So, I'll do as you suggest and wait a few days, trying out different things until i feel safe enough to delete those folders.

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-23-2009, 08:15 AM   #12
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

My pleasure