Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

IE browser Windows Open in Small Size

This is a discussion on IE browser Windows Open in Small Size within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Some malicious web site has made changes to my registry (I'm assuming) that cause links to new IE browser windows

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 10:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

Some malicious web site has made changes to my registry (I'm assuming) that cause links to new IE browser windows to always open up in a small size. Even if I resize the new IE browser and minimize it and restore it a few times and then close it, when I hit that link (or any link) again the browser always comes up in a small size. If I just open up IE on its own it opens at the desired size, this problem only happens with links that launch new browser windows.

How do I fix this? I've done quite a few searches on the MS Knowledgebase site, but nothing for this exact problem comes up.

Thanks,
Zoodie

Old 07-23-2006, 10:29 PM   #2
Registered Member

i suggest using firefox as its more secure or if you don't want to do that then scan the computer for viruses or spyware that maybe trying to open pop up windows.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Welcome to the forums!

Have you tried maximizing the window, then go file>close instead of the x? Also, you maybe could try to right-click the IE icon on the Start Menu and the Desktop, and select it to run maximized.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:56 AM   #4
Mentor Hardware Team

OS: WinXP Pro SP2; Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista Ultimate; Vista Business

Maximize the window, then hold down the shift key while closing the browser. Next time it opens it should be full screen. I would also scan for malware. You could try the online scanners at www.trendmicro.com.

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:09 AM   #5
Registered Member

I've tried all the normal closing the browser window while holding the shift key, I've closed it by using the "file close" rather than "X", etc, but nothing changes the fact that pop up windows (that I request via links) open up small. My original browser does not open up small. I have two programs that scan for spyware, etc and none has been detected. I think something got changed in a registry setting, does anybody know of registry edits that would correct this?
Thanks
Old 07-26-2006, 10:27 AM   #6
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Hi there....

Try this, I have just tested this and it works on my machine.

Open Internet Explorer, then using one of the corners shrink the Windows to a smaller size (bear with me here). Then close IE. Open it again, this time it should open in it's last state, the smaller size. Now expand the Window using the corner again but do no use the maximizer button. Again, close IE and relaunch it..it now should take up the full screen without being 'maximized'. Now right click a link and select to 'Open in New Window'.

Hopefully that link should now be a large window.

I hope that makes sense..like i said, I've just tested it and it works ok :)
Old 07-31-2006, 05:58 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thank you very much, Nickster UK! That solution worked! I guess I had to resize the original window and not just the pop-up linked window.
Thanks,
Zoodie
Old 07-31-2006, 09:30 PM   #8
Happy to support TSF!

My System

No probs Zoodie....glad it worked :)

Come back anytime you need a hand :)