Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Icons won't show on initial start up

This is a discussion on Icons won't show on initial start up within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, when I booted my pc up a few days ago, it booted up completely but stopped at the end.

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, when I booted my pc up a few days ago, it booted up completely but stopped at the end. I could see my wallpaper but no icons or taskbar. I couldn't do anything so I rebooted the pc and it booted up perfectly fine. All the icons appeared. I have to do this everytime I boot-up. So I was wondering, what could be causing the loss of icons on the first boot up and why do they appear when I restart?
I did a system restore a few days ago, but this did nothing only cause problems with my Avast Antivirus which I had to uninstall and reinstall.
My computer works fine apart from this little hiccup on initial start up.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

when you have a blank desktop, you can press CTRL+ALT+DEL and start the Task Manager/File/New (Run) and type explorer.exe this should bring up your desktop.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accessing Server on Wireless Network
I am trying to set up my router to access my server on a wireless network. What do I enter as the MAC address and my IP? I get either MAC address invalid or IP not in range... Thanks for your help!
BrentC Networking Support 2 03-07-2012 12:12 AM
Lost partitions on external HDD
Hi! I have a 1 TB Acomdata external hard drive with three partitions. Windows was only recognizing one partition, but is now recognizing 2 out of 3. I have tried this external drive on my desktop (Vista Home Premium) and on my netbook (Windows XP) with the same results. :banghead: Here's what...
JustFiona Hard Drive Support 2 03-02-2012 08:12 AM
Outgoing mail over 1mb hangs up!
I use windows XP and Ootlook 2003 for e-mail. I seem to have no problem receiving e-mail of any sizeup to as large as 15MB. However, it is very time consuming and difficult to me send out anything approaching 1MB or greater. AT&T claims it is an Outlook issue and not a restriction on outgoing...
dave1512 Microsoft Office support 0 03-01-2012 12:04 PM
[SOLVED] Multiple LAN cards on Windows XP
Hi there! I am working on my college project. I have 4 computers with 3 LAN cards (1 onboard + 2 PCI) installed on each of the machines. One of the machines run Windows Server 2008 and other 3 run Windows XP. I am trying to simulate routing on these desktops. I have connected all the machines in...
dashingncool Networking Support 8 03-01-2012 10:11 AM