Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

i reset my laptop back to factory default with a cracked lcd display

This is a discussion on i reset my laptop back to factory default with a cracked lcd display within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. its as the title implies, after my display on the screen became utterly useless, i always used an external vga

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

its as the title implies, after my display on the screen became utterly useless, i always used an external vga monitor instead and it would always work. but now after i reformatted my pc, all i see is the acer logo, then the windows xp loading icon, then when the first xp pc setup screen comes up, the external monitor wont display it. i cant see a thing on the laptop screen so how am i supposed to set up my pc on the first boot after reformatting? please help.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

try to shift the video signal to an external monitor by holding the Fn, special function, key down and the display key down ,,,which is typcially one of the F keys with a crt symbol on it...and see if that works....

Old 01-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

the display toggle f key is fn+f5. and i tried that already, thats why i posted: because that always used to work before i reformatted. (i always had to log in first and get to my desktop, but now there are no accounts to log into... hence the xp setup screen im at.) im at that screen you see when you first boot up a brand new xp computer. (where you create screen names and name your computer, ect.) im sure there has to be some kind of backup emergency method, the manufacturer had to forsee these things.